Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Making a POI datatabase and bmp file.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Making a POI datatabase and bmp file.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
I have modified the program and a sample of the extracted data is shown below

You will see that in effect all of the POI are called France. If all of the double quotes are removed and the file opened in Excel then it is possible to delete the "France" column and use the next field for the POI name. In most cases this will the the camp site name, but there are some blanks which should be given an ID.

I would suggest that a bit more editing would be in order. If the 'information' column is used in place of 'name', it will be far to long for TTG to display - and will use too much card memory even if TTG can handle it.

In excel, you could create a new column and, in each cell alongside 'information' copy a formula to use just (say) the left-most 20 characters. So in D2, for example, you'd have a formula saying "=LEFT(C2,20)" - and then copy that all down the column. Now the clever bit! If you delete the 'information' column, your formulae won't be valid. So first, you need to select the column with the formulae and copy it to the clipboard (CTRL/C or Edit/Copy). Then you need to do an Edit/Paste Special/Values - which will replace the formulae with the actual text. Then you can delete the 'information column and save the file in .csv format ready for conversion to a .ov2 POI file.

Roger
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
I have modified the program and a sample of the extracted data is shown below

Longitude,Latitude,Name,Information
-1.58115,49.03891,"france","Camp Municipal Le Martinet, Boulevard Lebel-Jehenne, Agon-Coutainville [tel: 02 33 47 05 20] 122 pitches, wc, showers, hook-up , laundry , English spoken, open 1Apr-30Oct"
-1.59295,49.04206,"france","Camp Municipal du Marais, Boulevard Lebel Jehenne. 50230 Agon-Coutainville [tel: 02 33 47 25 72] 148 pitches, wc, chemical waste disposal, hook-up , laundry, shops near, open 1Jul-1Sep"

. . . If you email me then I will send you a modified version of POIConverter. I do not want to release it as a new version yet as I am adding support for OZiExplorer and it is not quite finished.

Richard
Hi Richard, and Roger,

Thanks a lot for the Help; I've sent you and e-mail, Richard, so you can send the modified program, Tah ever so!

Roger, I see from Richard's example of the converted .axe file, that there is far too much info for Tom Tom to handle, so some truncation along the lines you, suggest would be necessary. Tom Tom doesn't need all that superfluous detail ; just co-ords. and "name" of the site, NOT France. Can't quite see why that France column is there, as it just seems to muck things up; for TT-GO anyway.

Thanks again guys, help greatly appreciated.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

Roger, I see from Richard's example of the converted .axe file, that there is far too much info for Tom Tom to handle, so some truncation along the lines you, suggest would be necessary. Tom Tom doesn't need all that superfluous detail ; just co-ords. and "name" of the site, NOT France. Can't quite see why that France column is there, as it just seems to muck things up; for TT-GO anyway.
Thanks again guys, help greatly appreciated.

Richard suggested deleting the France column and using text from the Information column for the location name. This is where I came in, and took the deletion of the France column as read.

So we're left with only one text/description column - but it's got far too much info in it - hence my suggested truncation.

If you do as I suggest you will end up with just 3 columns - latitude, longitude and Site Name/Description (1st 20 chars thereof) - just what you need for a .ov2 file.

Hope this makes sense!

Roger
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Campsite POI (.axe) conversion to Tom Tom (.ov2) Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
. . . . Richard suggested deleting the France column and using text from the Information column for the location name. This is where I came in, and took the deletion of the France column as read.

So we're left with only one text/description column - but it's got far too much info in it - hence my suggested truncation.

If you do as I suggest you will end up with just 3 columns - latitude, longitude and Site Name/Description (1st 20 chars thereof) - just what you need for a .ov2 file.

Hope this makes sense!

Roger
Sure does, Roger, and thanks. When you say; "1st 20 chars", is that a suggestion, or is that the limit for "name" in TT-GO POI lists.

One other improvement?? that could be handy is to 'split' the list into different star ratings of campsite and to give such sites an appropriate .bmp symbol to indicate 'star rating'.

Have you got an easy way of doing this, Roger?? Excel, again I guess, but plodding through 3,500 sites is going to take some time.

Thanks again.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite POI (.axe) conversion to Tom Tom (.ov2) Reply with quote

[quote="DocL] When you say; "1st 20 chars", is that a suggestion, or is that the limit for "name" in TT-GO POI lists.[/quote]

It's just a suggestion. When you're selecting a POI to navigate to, TTG can only display about 18 characters. Once you have selected it, it puts it at the top of the screen in a much smaller font. Some of the built-in POIs are 50 characters or more. So can you use a longer string if you want - but you need to make sure that the first part is meaningful, because that's all you see at selection time!

[quote="DocL]
One other improvement?? that could be handy is to 'split' the list into different star ratings of campsite and to give such sites an appropriate .bmp symbol to indicate 'star rating'.

Have you got an easy way of doing this, Roger?? Excel, again I guess, but plodding through 3,500 sites is going to take some time.[/quote]

Looking at the examples given earlier in this thread, I can't see any obvious indication of star rating - unless you have to deduce it from the list of facilities.

If there IS some appropraite text - e.g. *** or 3Star etc., you can use Excel to filter on this (once you've got round the problem of * being used as a wildcard!) and then copy the filtered data into another file. You'd have to do this before trunkating the Info field.

Roger
BB695
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocL - did you ever get this sorted? I am off to France camping next week and this would be like manna from the gods 8)
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB695 wrote:
DocL - did you ever get this sorted? I am off to France camping next week and this would be like manna from the gods 8)

Right, BB695, and others interested in campsites in France, the manna has fallen!!
If you go to http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8440&st=210# you'll find a download for ~3600 French campsites!! [Can't work out how to put a downloadable file on here Sad ]

Now I take no credit for it, as it's been modified for TT-GO use by someone else from John Harrison's 'Jollyinteresting' site. I did e-mail the guy but have not had a reply.

As you'll see in the posting, in the link above, I've put my own campsite icon in and changed the name slightly to recognise the source as JI (JollyInteresting) and distinguish it from other, paultry, french campsite POI lists.

I've used it in the past two weeks in France and it worked fine, except for the fact that the precise location was incorrect for a couple of sites in the Pas de Calais. This may be the case for other sites. I logged the sites by GPS location and made a new POI in the 'French Campsites JI' category and then deleted the original site which was wrongly located.

If others can do likewise and report back here, or the TouringandTenting forum then it will serve as a very helpful resource for us campers.

I used TT-GO to get me to the City campsite in Mons; it was great, got me there doing a left-hand turn, with caravan on the back, in the city, down a residential looking road, and I hadn't seen a campsite sign!! I think I re-located, slightly, that site as well.

Please get back to me here, or in the TandT forum, if you have any comments etc. Good luck and have a safe trip.
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, can't edit, but a more precise link for the download is
http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8440&view=findpost&p=139301

Sorry.
BB695
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant - I will be sure to let you know how we get on, but there is a good chance that you have saved a marriage with this Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: