Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GlobalSat SD501 SDIO GPS Receiver review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GlobalSat SD501 SDIO GPS Receiver review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pocket-Man.
Glad you eventually got to the root of the problem.

Tel: 0871 7000 156
Globalsat UK Distributor
johnshield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: SD501 and PPC4100 (Audiovox 4100) Reply with quote

As many of you have found out, the SD501 does not appear to be compatible with the PPC4100, eventhough it has a published SDIO interface.

I originally thought that it was a problem with the "GPS Information.exe" program, so I wrote a little test program to open up COM6 (attached to MANF-0501-CARDI), but it behaves exactly the same way: it locks the entire test program on the call to "CreateFile" (which is the WinCE API to open up a comport - I know what you're thinking, but before you comment, remember, this is Microsoft, things don't have to make sense).

I went to the manufacturer's website (http://www.globalsat.com.tw/english/download.php?level_id=3) and re-downloaded the 1-bit driver. The same result, the test program (as well as the "GPS Information.exe" program) locked up again.

I then uninstalled the 1-bit driver and installed the 4-bit driver. The same result, any program trying to open the comport locks up.

I then looked at the difference between the 1-bit and the 4-bit main driver DLL (SD_gps_driver.dll) and actually did a binary comparison: they are the same file. So, I went checking to see if there's a registry setting that tells the "SD_gps_driver.dll" file to use 1-bit or 4-bit SDIO modes. However, I couldn't find any.

This leads me to believe that Globalsat didn't package their drivers properly in the CAB files and used the 4-bit version for both the 1-bit and 4-bit drivers on their website.

Go ahead, install the 1-bit version and then export the SD_gps_driver.dll to your Windows computer using ActiveSync and then do a File->Properties on it and check the file description. It says: SD_gps_driver (4 bit)

At any rate, I am hopeful that the PPC4100 supports 1-bit SDIO transfer modes and that the incompatibility problem can be fixed with the correct driver from GlobalSat.

Can the distributors of this nifty little receiver put some pressure on GlobalSat to finally fix their driver? I've read post after post of this same behaviour on other brands (with published SDIO 1.1 support)

Regards,

John.
BearUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Globalsat SD-501 Reply with quote

I don't who how much the reviewer was paid, and who paid him - but I think the SD-501 is a pile of rubbish.

Although the installation and setup was fine, that's as far as it goes.

It's deaf and blind and unreliable. It doesn't work anywhere around where I work (London Bridge) and - for example - it was working fine in and outside my home last night, but tonight it won't see a single satellite. Not even the add on 'booster' works.

Do yourself a favour and buy something else.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Globalsat SD-501 Reply with quote

BearUK wrote:
I don't who how much the reviewer was paid, and who paid him - but I think the SD-501 is a pile of rubbish.

Nobody paid me a penny, nor do any of the reviewers on this site get paid for producing thier independent reviews.
BearUK wrote:

Although the installation and setup was fine, that's as far as it goes.

This is the area where most people have issues.
BearUK wrote:

It's deaf and blind and unreliable. It doesn't work anywhere around where I work (London Bridge) and - for example -

If you try to switch a GPS on after travelling some distance, where there are a lot of tall buildings then any GPS will struggle to get a fix.
BearUK wrote:
it was working fine in and outside my home last night, but tonight it won't see a single satellite. Not even the add on 'booster' works.

So what has changed between last night and tonight? The fact that it was working inside proves that the receiver was working and sensitive. GPS does not normally work indoors with no clear view of the sky.
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody who needs the driver for the Globalsat SD501 can find it here...

http://easydevices.co.uk/main.asp?sitepages=Downloads

Please note that the download contains both drivers (1bit and 4bit).

If you are unsure which version to use then see the following page...

http://www.globalsat.com.tw/english/products_detail.php?main_id=21&p_id=105

Globalsat UK Distributor
Rob2791
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does It work with tmobile pocket pc phones??
sprovost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: I need help in a more solid driver for my ipaq 5555 Reply with quote

I just received my new gps receiver. I was able to get the driver working but every time my ipaq goes off or to sleep, the driver fails. I have to perform a soft reset to get the driver working again.

As long as power is connected to my ipaq 5555, the driver works fine and my gps application gets the data from the 501 sdio gps receiver.

If i pull out the gps, the driver fails until a soft reset is performed.

I checked hp's website and did not find any new firmware updates for the SDIO slot.

Any ideas???

thanks
stephen
wiesl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, SD-501 and iPaq 5550.
Wrote to support today.

Christoph
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I can help with this one. It does sound like an issue with the PDA.
I know that the driver will only usually appear when the device is plugged in. So, if for example you are using tomtom software and go into the GPS settings, the virtual com port will only display when you have the device fitted.
Quote:
If i pull out the gps, the driver fails until a soft reset is performed.

I couldn't think of any reason why you would want the driver to appear without the GPS receiver in place. Or am I missing the point.

Globalsat UK Distributor
wiesl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the SD-501 with a second 5550. Same problem here. I tested it with a 2210, here the receiver works fine after Suspend/Resume. So it's not a hardware issue with the SD-501
I searched again the HP support and found a Firmware update (HP iPAQ Pocket PC h5500 Series Firmware Update for ROM Version 1.10 (23 Aug 04) SP28220.exe).
It should fix some problems (Corrects issue where some SDIO cards were not recognized after Suspend/Resume or soft reset.).
Unfortunally it does NOT fix it.
Seems that the SD-501 is NOT compatible with the iPaq 5550.

Christoph
studsr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: SD501 - Ipaq5500 - Problems! Reply with quote

Well, I bought one of these Globstat SD501 GPS cards for my Ipaq 5500 (it got such a great review on here!), and am distinctly unimpressed so far.

Installation went fine, but GPS Info would not show it up on any COM port (my Ipaq is fully updated, with all available patches from HP website).

Eventually, after several reinstalls, its shows up in GPS Info, on COM 4, and wandering around outside for a few minutes gives me a good fix on 5 or 6 sats in GPS Info.

Now the problems start - TomTom just refused to recognise it. I had TomTom GPS on "simulator", so I take the tick out of here, select NMEA 0183v2 4800, and select SDCARD from second drop down menu......when this is done, it is impossible to put a "tick" in blue box to activate GPS.

After much web searching, I found TomTom have released an update to TomTom 3 GPS driver, so uninstalled present one, and installed new one.......I can now enable GPS in TomTom, although signal is weak (2 or 3 sats) and position can be erattic.

I've also tried Pocket Streets 2005, in GPS Setup I pick COM4 (as I know from GPS Info that this is what the card is grabbing), but Pocket Streets just reports "the com port is available, but no data is being received).

The Globstat website is absolutely useless, no recent driver updates, no support forum etc.

Anyone got it working well on a Ipaq 5500, or Pocket Streets?.....any advice at all would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Andy.
wiesl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all unlucky owner of SD-501 and iPaq 5550.

I got an answer form the support (it was the Navilock.de support as I bought the Receiver in Austria and here the SD-501 is distributed as NL-207S).
They told me that the SD-501/NL-207S is NOT COMPATIBLE with the 5550. Evil or Very Mad I shall hope that HP releases a firmware upate.
That's it!!
I will return my SD-501 as it is useless for me.

Christoph
studsr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really!? - then why does it state on Globstat website, and reviews/specs on sellers websites:

Compatible Device
Acer n30
Dell Axim X3 Pocket PC
HP iPAQ h1930 series Pocket PC
HP iPAQ h1940 series Pocket PC
HP iPAQ h2210 series Pocket PC
HP iPAQ h3970 series Pocket PC
HP iPAQ h4150 series Pocket PC
HP iPAQ h5550 series Pocket PC
O2 XdaII Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC, phone edition

I agree there is definately a problem, and Globstat/HP should be addressing this......lets hope they do soon.
wiesl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Navilock to remove the compatibility note on their webpage. I will inform you about their reaction.

I noticed that every webshop and reviewer copies the specs from the globalstat website. Test's were normaly done with devices with SD and CF slot (therfore they can use the full maps of the navigation software) and not with the 5550

An SD-501 is in some way compatible to the 5550 - after some soft resets and without power off the device. But that is not the way I want to use a SD-GPS. I want to use it off road, then walking in cities and there need to power off often because of power consumption.
santhosh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: SDIO 501 and XDA 2 Reply with quote

Hi, I had problems finding the COM7 port on the XDA 2 when i initially started out a couple of months back. I did some experimenting and all of a sudden the port appeared and all was well. after a hard reset i am facing the problem again and cant seem to figure out why the com7 port is occupied or how to even access it. i'm stuck in the middle of a vacation without navigation. this problem has been faced by many and the solutions are not clear in the forum discussions or the reviews... please help
santhosh

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: