Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Clear guidance on backing up.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Clear guidance on backing up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Clear guidance on backing up. Reply with quote

Hi there,
I really would like some clear guidance on backing up...

Had the Go for 2 months now, but still not sure!!

Firstly, when we get our lovely Go home, TomTom tell us to back it up.
This has created a folder called TomTom Go-Backup and shows all thats on the Hard Drive of the GO. However, the size of this folder is small.
It got 142 Files, 8 Folders and it's only 14.5mb.

Anyway, I then did the first update to 5.42, grabbed a couple of themes and then did another FULL Back up.

This asked me where I'd like to store it, so I created a file called TomTom Go, and it stuck a BACKUP-20060129 1208 in there. This is significantly bigger. 185 Files, 8 Folders and is 1.33Gb.

Since then I have done a couple of FULL Backups each time I have added (POI Capture, Cameras etc..) or changed something (Camera updates) which are saved in the TOMTOM GO Folder and are named as BACKUP-20060??? ???? (? = date and time).

If I then back up my PERSONAL SETTINGS only, this is saved in the original Backup of our beloved GO. (TomTom Go-Backup) and adds the extra files or folders accordingly.

Ok now that is explained, my questions are as follows:

1. Should I delete the FULL backups in the TomTom Go Folder each time I put a new on e in there.

2. If my Go ever went pair shaped... would I the ORIGINAL back up that only appears to be about 15mb?? or use the latest FULL backup to restore it to how i had it?

To me, I can't see what putting the 15mb Backup on it will do, and therefore can't see the point in doing the original back up, unless theres something I've missed!!??

Your advice is appreciated.Tx in advance.

iPhone 6 with Western Europe & CamerAlert
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just keep the last full backup. I have only needed to restore once in 18 moths and I used that. It includes the personal settings as well, so it should be all you need.

The only critical thing you really need is a copy of the map folder. Everything else (system, PoI etc) can usually be redownloaded, but the map on the GO is the only copy you have.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply SGould,
I shall "tidy" my folders up and keep the last back up, and maybe do a copy of this to CD... just in case!!

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you keep one of the "Full" backups. The first one you mention is definitely not big enough to be anything other than your personal settings.

In my opinion, the simplest way to make SURE you have everything is not to use any of the TomTom supplied backup routines.
Just use Windows Explorer to copy and paste EVERYTHING from your Go's hard disk or SD card to a new folder on your PC. (Just make sure that Explorer is set to "show all hidden files" and to "show file extensions for known file types". Both options are set in Tools / Folder Options / View Tab)).
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the prompt Andy,

I seem to have read on here (somewhere) that several people have followed TomTom's instructions and done a full back up with the same result as me... a small amount of Data.

I have recently backed up my 700 which includes all my POI's inc. Cameras, my voices and POI Capture (not that this is working) onto the PC.
To be safe, I have just copied all this to a CD so I'll be ok if the worst happens now.

Out of interest, could I use my back up on a friends 700 if his ever went wrong as he doesn't have a PC at present to back up too...?? Whats the impplication??

Thanks for all your comments folks.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadget_sa wrote:

Out of interest, could I use my back up on a friends 700 if his ever went wrong as he doesn't have a PC at present to back up too...?? Whats the impplication??

Implication is that he would now be using YOUR maps. The TomTom code system (Device code for the Go, Product code for the maps, producing an Activation code to unlock the maps) is a little complex (well I don't really understand it!). Sometimes it will ask you to enter the product code when you change things on your own machine, sometimes it won't. But the upshot is that if he has to enter the code, they will then be seen as HIS maps and if you have problems later, you may not be able to re-authorise them yourself.

You would be in breach of the TomTom Licence agreement if you did it too.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadget_sa wrote:

Why not just do a Full Backup of his 700 to your PC. Then everyone will be happy.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy and Richard....

Makes sense what you say about him having all "my" information, so I'll do as Richard suggests and back it up for him, and tell him to sort himself out with a PC, because no doubt he'll want to back up regularly!!!

Cheers Guys

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: