Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrading to TomTom5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading to TomTom5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markw19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Upgrading to TomTom5 Reply with quote

I'm thinking of upgrading TomTom on my PocketPC (Windows mobile 2003) from version 3 to version 5.

But, I've installed checkpoint on my current TomTom, which audibly alerts me for speedcameras etc. - this too ages to configure, as I assigned different sounds to different speed zones etc. Obviously I don't want to have to do the same thing again with TomTom5...

I understand you don't need checkpoint with it though as it's got it's own POI alert in there, so it will audibly alert me when I'm approaching a speedcamera? But, can it do the same as checkpoint will do, ie. speaking "Speedcamera in 30 secs", then warn you if you go over the speed limit "Limit is 30mph", then finally say "speed camera in 10 secs". Obviously I have all those sound files as I'm currently using them. Can TomTom do all this (custom alert sounds at 2 different points [30 sec and 10sec] and also do the speed warning while in a camera zone?

Thanks for any help!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, the inbuilt POI warner will not give double warnings as such, but it can be provoked into behaving this way by clever use of the POI camera files loading the speed zoned set-up, and in addition the camera by type files, then set a lower distance for the second warning, - once you get to configuring the warnings within TomTom you might be a tad disapointed though as they are just bells and other noises, if you want true spoken alerts then thay can be downloaded from this site http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-go-poi-alerts.php or try the other ones from www.tomtomsatnav.info (Real voice warnings), read up on the subject first and make sure you back up your unit BEFORE messing with any of this though, it is worth it in the long run though, the only thing TT5 POI warner will not do is notification of a speed excedance, you could always try CheckPOI vs5 if you want to for this function,
If you need more detailed instructions please get in touch when you upgrade and I will be happy to take you through configuring any of the above - Mike
Markw19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike, really helpful.

I think I may leave the POI warnings to checkpoint though, as I do now, so I can use the files and sounds I've already configured etc.

Is it just a case of dragging the sound files and poi files (ov2, bmp etc.) into my new map folder after I've installed TT5, and it'll work without any need for configuring it again?

Mark
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need the latest version 5 of CheckPOInt. You will probably want to disable the visible detailed warning because it flickers annoyingly, but the audible warnings will work just like your present version.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: