Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating the safety camera database and CP6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating the safety camera database and CP6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Updating the safety camera database and CP6 Reply with quote

Last month I downloaded the safety camera database for the first time onto my PDA running CP6. I used the new streamlined technique for CP6, as outlined in this technote:-

http://support.alk.eu.com/cgi-bin/alk.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=287

Now, I've just downloaded the new December database, but am unsure how to make this replace the old one. Presumably I don't want two lots of data, so how do I install the update so it completely replaces the original?

Maybe I've missed something in the technotes, but it seems to assume a first time install. The main issue is that the files that you download onto the PDA are themselves processed by CP6, so you cannot simply wipe the original files and restart. I have found no mention of how you kill the current data.

And while I'm here, how do I do the same for the desktop application?[/url]
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

There is a thread that tells you somewhere but I can't remember where.

This is my method.
Remove the following files from \Storage Card\COPILOT\SAVE

aocattyp.dat
aoPoi.dat
aoPoi.fts
aoPoi.gdx
aoPoi.nms
aoPoi.tdx
aoPoi.tst
aotyp.dat

I would just copy them somewhere safe instead of deleting them (better safe than sorry). You then just copy the OV2 and BMP database files into the same place then start copilot up. It should take longer than normal to start up as it is loading the POI's in.

Regards

Dave
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have copied the .ov2 and .bmp files into the Copilot\save Directory and it seems to have replaced the existing camera POI's. So i think you should be ok.
I havent proved this conclusively uet but looking at te map nothing is displayed twice so far.

I used a slightly modified file though... I read elsewhere that you can use the Text To speech to read out the camera as you approach. However to do this you need to choose a different filename for the database as well as removing the @ signs.

I opened the .ov2 file in POIEdit and then saved it as a Garmin .csv file with the name Speed Camera. (e.g. Speed Camera.CSV)
Then in Excel i opened the .csv file and did a search and replace of the @ sign with 'space At space'. Saved the file again with the same name ok'ing all the warnings in excel.
Then opened the new .csv file in POIEdit again (type Garmin csv as before) then saved as Speed Camera.ov2.

I know i could have used make ov2 and dump ov2 but this seemed easier. I would sugest that the Moderators need to update thier instructions to include Copilot 6....

I can send the file if anyone is interested or has trouble
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-m,

First time I did this I got two of everything, hence me trawling the forum looking for a solution. I don't know why the difference in mine and yours. I use dumpov2 and use word to remove the @ and : and save as text file then makeov2 on the text file. TTS does read out the camera number and speed on mine.

Regards

Dave
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont know if i have 2 of everything until i drive i guess. I cant see 2 though.

I did think about deleting all the files but then it deletes all the other poi's i have. Unless i keep a copy of them before i add the speed camera files. Its just a more to mess around with. I had hoped that they would provide a modified file for Copilot 6 so that i could just use the auto update of POIEdit.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that, if you load a new set of POI's with the same filename as the previous, it will delete the previous set before loading the new ones. You should only need to delete the AOPOI*.* files if you are using a different filename. But that is just my assumption.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
I assume that, if you load a new set of POI's with the same filename as the previous, it will delete the previous set before loading the new ones. You should only need to delete the AOPOI*.* files if you are using a different filename. But that is just my assumption.

This is exactly the behaviour i have observed.

I deleted a camera near my house from the file and then copied it onto the copilot\save directory using the exact same name as before. all other cameras were there except the one i had deleted.
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my previou posts i have now used the seperate CP5 files supplied in the Camera database zip file under the CSV files\CP5 directory.
I loaded each one into POIedit and saved as an ov2 file and renamed each one to a more meaningful file name.

e.g 'Mobile Camera.ov2' or 'Gatso Camera.ove' etc.

Then copying these with the matching (also renamed) BMP file allows you to copy them directly onto the SD card in the copilot\save directory. On next starting of CP6 it will automatically import the file into the POI database as an extra custom poi.

If you then have Text to SPeech enabled it will speak 'Gatso Camera' or whatever you named each poi file.

shame this isnt available via the poiedit download from PGPSdirectly then the Copilot uusers could enjoy the automatic update feature as well as the TT5 users....
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the "new" method to download the latest database to CP6. It worked very well, but the icons in the map view are now rather large, obscuring details of junctions etc. Has anyone any idea how to get them back down to the size they originally were on CP6?
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
... the icons in the map view are now rather large, obscuring details of junctions etc. Has anyone any idea how to get them back down to the size they originally were on CP6?
Robin

I just created one with Microsoft Paint. Any 16x16 pixel, 16-color bitmap will improve on the 22x22 pixel bitmap that is supplied by default. I'd upload mine, but this forum doesn't appear to allow uploads.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iankb wrote:

Quote:

Fair point Ian. I thought I'd used the same filename but obviously I got confused. I'll do that next time. Good point about the camera icon.

Dave
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
I just created one with Microsoft Paint. Any 16x16 pixel, 16-color bitmap will improve on the 22x22 pixel bitmap that is supplied by default. I'd upload mine, but this forum doesn't appear to allow uploads.

I'd appreciate a copy. Ihave tried mucking about in Paint to resize it, but all I succeeded in doing was to clip it or else lose all detail in the image. I'll PM my email address

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin, copy sent.

Now that the camera database is going to be subscription-based, I would expect them to create a CoPilot6-specific version (rather than just the TomTom version), including a more friendly filename ('Speed Cameras.OV2'), and with a 16x16 pixel bitmap. They are welcome to my bitmap, if they want it.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i would prefer them to make multiple files like they do for TT5.
They already do this for CP5 in .asc format.

This allows you to have a different file for each camera type.

i converted the individual CP5 files to ov2 and renamed them so i have the following

Gatso Camera.ov2
Specs Camera. ov2
Mobile Camera.ov2
Temp Camera.ov2
Redlight Camera.ov2

The CP5 files already have the '@' replaced with ' at ' and the ':' character removed.
This helps CP6 'speak' the camera type and speed if supplied.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel another four bitmaps coming on ... Smile

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: