Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Workaround for the CP6 Trip Time bug
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Workaround for the CP6 Trip Time bug
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Workaround for the CP6 Trip Time bug Reply with quote

The source of the problem is in the gpstrip.trp file located in folder \SD Card\COPILOT\SAVE
The 3rd last line says:
DefRoadSpeeds=010101010101010101010101010101010101
which means that the deault road speed for all road types is 1mph

By copying the equivalent line from DEFTRIP.DAT in folder \SD Card\COPILOT\DATACD fixes the problem temporarily at least. Alternatively replace the offending line with the following:
DefRoadSpeeds=014141372D05231E140137371E14050F190A

This is just a temporary workaround as I found a sequence of events that caused the file to reset. Something to do with choosing the Basic routing option but subsequent tests have not been able to reproduce that particular problem.

Hopefully ALK will fix this bug in the first patch

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just completed some comprehensive research into this problem. I have also found that a whole series of bugs stem from files usertrip.dat and userstop.dat being created empty. These are located in \SD Card\COPILOT\SAVE. Using Activesync or a card reader check whether these files show up with a size of 0 bytes. If they are then you have the dreaded 1mph problem.

There is a specific sequence of commands which causes these files to be created empty but once fixed they appear to be fixed for good. This explains why some users have encountered the problem and others have not.

So now to the fix:
Start Copilot
Select Menu > Trip > Settings
Select Routing
Click Advanced
Select the Default profile
Click OK
Select Menu > Quit Copilot

Using Activesync or a Card Reader: Delete the empty usertrip.dat and userstop.dat in \SD Card\COPILOT\SAVE
Restart Copilot
Select Menu > Trip > Settings
Select Routing
Click Basic
Change the London Congestion Zone Warning (Check if unchecked or uncheck if checked as any change will force Copilot to recreate the files)
Click OK
Select Routing
Restore London Congestion Zone Warning (Back to your preferred value)
Click OK
Select Menu > Quit Copilot

Using Activesync or a card reader: Confirm that gpstrip.trp, usertrip.dat and userstop.dat have been created and are not empty.

Windows CE 4.20
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sterling work there by KenS!!

Without taking anything aways from KenS, I have to say that it never ceases to perplex me that ALK must have known about this bug, which KenS has apparently proved to be fixable very easily, but they have left it to him to come up with a fix. This is all the more surprising when their technical support staff have intervened on another thread concerning postcode/mapping/database errors.

If Copilot is to assume the market position that many of us wish it could have, then all the work cannot be left to users.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The source of the problem is in the gpstrip.trp file located in folder \SD Card\COPILOT\SAVE
The 3rd last line says:

Strange, I've searched my SD Card and cannot find this file and all of the other definition files have what appears to be valid data. I'm seeing the ETA display counting down but is this the same problem as being talked about here?
Phil
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilB wrote:
Quote:
The 3rd last line says:

Strange, I've searched my SD Card and cannot find this file and all of the other definition files have what appears to be valid data. I'm seeing the ETA display counting down but is this the same problem as being talked about here?
Phil

Phil - it is quite possible that gpstrip.trp does not exist as Copilot sometimes deletes it when it closes down. as per my latest post it is the files usertrip.dat and userstop.dat that are more significant. If they do not exist or have a size of 0 bytes then following my instructions above should fix the problem. Let me know how you get on.

Sorry to say that this is the sort of bug that should have been picked up with some pretty basic testing of the new functionality - same with the other bugs that have been picked up already.

Windows CE 4.20
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,
Thanks, I did check the other files and all seemed to be valid. I'm going out later this morning so will take another look and then I'm off for a long trip this arvo - back to work - so will have a chance to check it out, won't be back until next weekend.

I've been in computer development for over 30 years and agree with you that there is no excuse for obvious bugs. I can't believe these basic bugs weren't picked up by the beta testers we heard so much about.
xw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Ken,

I'm a developer from ALK. I was pointed to this forum by ALK tech support. This bug is fixed on version 6.0.1. It will not loading usertrip.dat if its size is 0, instead it will load the deftrip.dat

However, I would really like to know the sequence that cause the usertrip.dat and userstop.dat to be created as size 0.

Could you please let me know?

Thanks!
Xindong
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xw wrote:
Hi, Ken,

I'm a developer from ALK. I was pointed to this forum by ALK tech support. This bug is fixed on version 6.0.1...Xindong

This implies that there is a new version out - but where?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil01 writes that:

Quote:
[xw] implies that there is a new version out - but where?

Yes, and don't get me wrong as I'm delighted that ALK now see the advantage of speaking up on the forums, but xw wasn't very clear about what he or she meant by:

Quote:
This bug is fixed on version 6.0.1

WHICH bug exactly?
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
xw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the bug, I mean some people get speed limit on the street to be 1mph, which leads to incorrect ETA.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xw

Sorry, I was being pedantic. KenS had already made it clear what the bug under discussion was. Funnily, though, you make no mention of where this CP 6.0.1... can be found???
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xw wrote:
Hi, Ken,

I'm a developer from ALK. I was pointed to this forum by ALK tech support. This bug is fixed on version 6.0.1. It will not loading usertrip.dat if its size is 0, instead it will load the deftrip.dat

However, I would really like to know the sequence that cause the usertrip.dat and userstop.dat to be created as size 0.

Could you please let me know?

Thanks!
Xindong

I cannot be 100% sure but here is one scenario. I have just installed Copilot 6 and there is currently no usertrip.dat at all.

Start Copilot
Click Settings
Click Map
Click KM
Click OK

Voila - usertrip.dat is created with size 0b and so is userstop.dat

On the other hand if I had instead done the following

Start Copilot
Click Settings
Click Routing
Select Toll "Roads Use if Necessary"
Click OK

then usertrip.dat is created correctly

So depending which menu option you select when you first install Copilot you may or may not see the bug.

Windows CE 4.20
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really amazzed that people think a patch is an overnight thing and just becuase one is mentioned it should be released. It is prudent that it may well be done, but its possible the are going to double check to verify what is talked about is really fixed. And better yet maybe its fixed in 6.0.1 but there are other things that the patch is waiting for... either way, to think a patch is going to be released overnight (at least that is how its being read, yet may not be the intention) is just wrong ---
xw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I shouldn't mention 6.0.1. Anyway I think ALK should and will post a patch for this bug. I would encourage you to ask ALK UK tech support.

Ken, I only have 6.0.0.77 at hand right now, I remove the usertrip.dat and userstop.dat file in my sd card, install the app, activate the license,
click settings->Map->KM->OK, then quit CoPilot. But I have no luck getting the two files as size 0. I'll try to get 6.0.0.68 and do it again.

Can someone having 6.0.0.77 do a quick check? Thank you very much!
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xw wrote:

Ken, I only have 6.0.0.77 at hand right now, I remove the usertrip.dat and userstop.dat file in my sd card, install the app, activate the license,
click settings->Map->KM->OK, then quit CoPilot. But I have no luck getting the two files as size 0. I'll try to get 6.0.0.68 and do it again.

After installing and activating make sure usertrip.dat is missing before you start Copilot (maybe there is a bug in the 6.0.0.68 install?)
If the Map setting is already KM then change it to Miles. A value has to change to force the file to be created. Did usertrip.dat get created at all for you? If it is created properly it will be more than 800 bytes in size.

Windows CE 4.20
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: