Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with GPS Slim 236 and GPS Viewer. Please help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with GPS Slim 236 and GPS Viewer. Please help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: TT 2.06 driver Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Mike.

I'm not sure I quite understand the methods you're suggesting.

I've downloaded the 2.06 driver, run the GPS tool that was installed with it and selected COM8 (the Microsoft GPS port, as the direct port COM4 is not available).

I have then tried to connect to the GPS inside the GPS tool using SiRF Bluetooth and 38400, and also NMEA 0183v2 38400 and have not seen any readings on any of these.

I'm just going to restart the PPC and see if that helps at all.

cheers,
James
jamver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: no improvement Reply with quote

I did a soft reset and tried it all again using COM0 for hardware and COM4 for MS GPS device and I'm still getting no apparent signal.

What more can I do to check this out?

cheers,
James
jamver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Working Reply with quote

Well, after I got home, I charged it again and although everything appeared 100% normal from the flashing lights on the GPS, connecting to mains USB power rather than computer USB power seemed to get it going. Very bizaare.

Oh, and when pluging in the original USB charging cable it bent the middle mini-USB pin out of place so now mini-USB cables do not fit stably into the GR-236 anymore.

Can anybody give pointers on how to put that pin back in the correct location?

cheers,
James
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a replacement cable, I very much doubt you could repair it and using a damaged one might cause further damage to a unit you plug into it (I use my 236 car charger for loads of different gadgets) - Mike
jamver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it is not the cable that has been damaged, but the centre pin in the mini-USB connector on the 236. I will take this cable out of service as it caused the damage and I don't want it causing similar damage to other devices, however, I really would like to get this centre pin back in place on the mini-USB connector on the GR-236 so that I can get a clean connection in future.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James that is going to require a return for repair, I would not try a soldering job and DIY conector swap - too difficult, I would contact your supplier of the device and ask for additional advice, if it was the lead supplied with the 236 that caused the fault send that back at the same time - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: