Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with GPS Slim 236 and GPS Viewer. Please help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with GPS Slim 236 and GPS Viewer. Please help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Select new outgoing port, that will be what you need - Mike
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a GPSlim about a week ago, and at first had a lot of problems getting the software (TomTom5, CoPilot 6, Mapopolis) to see it. I had gone through all the pairing process as described earlier in this thread.
Then I was told by somebody to switch on the GPS receiver first, wait until it has got a satellite fix (red light starts flashing) and only then switch on the navigation software. Connection then follows in just a few seconds without having to use Bluetooth Manager to start it. Since then I have only had one failure, I went to Bluetooth Manager, tapped and held the device icon, tapped connect and got a message saying the driver was out of memory. Soft reset, and it started straight away

Robin

By the way, I followed the advice on the TomTom support site and configured it in TomTom as Other NMEA device, 38400 baud/s
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
nickb23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks,
still have no luck getting it to work.
Mike - when I go to new outgoing port, and choose the holux, it gives me no options at all - just a blank pull down menu.

Should all this be this hard????!????!??

I am going to call houlx on wednesday (if they are open!!!)

Nick
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Go to Start/ Settings/ System and select the GPS icon.
Set Program port to Com8
Set Hardware port to Com7
Baud to 33600
Access check box select Manage Automatic selected

Hi Mike

I could not work out the intent of that GPS icon in WM2005 but looking at this i guess it is just a utility to map the incoming data from the bluetooth device out to the running application incoming on port 7 out on port 8?

Cheers

Mav
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mav, it does slightly more than that as when set-up correctly it will allow you to map a single GPS unit to more than one application, say TomTom and Memory Map simultaneously without the need for other applications which were needed in wm2003SE (the excellent Fransons GPS Gate for example) - Mike
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mikealder, sorry to resurrect this one.

I have accurately followed the guidance in your 14 December post using an Axim 51v. Everything seems to progress without problem but GPSview's scan reports "none" against COM7 & 8.

Three things concern me:-

1. Although the devices seem to pair without any error being raised the entry for the GPSlim in BT manger is preceded by a question mark which is carried over from the pairing process. I cannot find any guidance about this in the WM5 help files.

2. When I go to BT Manager to select the COM port there are no devices to select from. I have assumed that is because the GPSlim is my only BT device. Wrong??????

3. The mismatch of baud rates (33600 in BT Manager and 38400 in GPSViewer). I notice 33600 is seven eighths of 38400 so is this something to do with the number of data bits in each byte?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/ Yellow question mark is normal it does this with my Altina and Holux GPS, don't worky about it.
2/ You need to select comm ports tab, select new out going port, select GPS unit and assign a comm port from the drop down box, on the next screen select SSP mode.
3/ Don't know why this mismatch is there my unit does this as well - perhaps M.S. don't know the correct speeds? - Mike
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, mikealder Not Worthy . The key word in your reply was outgoing, cos dumbo here Confused had assumed incoming Embarassed

Working fine now. The GPSlim can see 11 satellites from my dining room table. What a great bit of kit.

Now to get TTN installed and working and then the speedcams database.
victorjiao
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

Holus 236 with Dell X51v problems sort out by:

click on other GPS receiver, then click the last one S???a???,
Then it start working.
gaustin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: gpslim and acer n30 ppc Reply with quote

Just a note about my success getting tom tom 5 to work on an Acer n30 with a Holux GPSlim236

I paired the ppc and the gps with normal bt manager

Now I start TT5

change preferences
Show gps status
Configure
"Other cable NMEA GPS"
bluetooth serial port com6 (this was the 2nd from the bottom of my list)

"bluetooth console" opened now & I select the Holux gps
nothing happens now until I touch the screen again.
as soon as I do though the ppc changes screen to TT5
and we are good to go :-)

Hope this help
Guy
aayuen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: NO Com Ports Assigned? Reply with quote

Please can anyone help?

I have similar problem on looking up com port for my GR-236. I follow steps on previous postings, but still no luck. I am using a Dopod 700 with WM2003SE. Version is 4.21.1088 (build 14132). Map software is MapKing7.

I can successfully setup a connection to GR-236, but on the GPSViewer, I can see no GPS on all available com ports. There is no option as ‘new outgoing ports’ or ‘new incoming ports’ on either the Bluetooth Manager or the Bluetooth setting?

AAYuen Sad
aayuen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been searching on the Net for a whole week now. I finally come to a software called ceMonitor, a GPS Navigation software. In the software, there is an option that allow me to reset my 236 to the factory default setting. After all, my 236 successfully attached to com 6 with brud rate 38400!!! However, so far I cannot fix on a sat yet. I will give it another try later today in a more open sky area to see it works or not. Will update the forum again. Thanks all... Rolling Eyes
aayuen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works!! Laughing
jamver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Unidirectional bluetooth data flow under WM5? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have tried everything in this thread and a number of others and so far have had no luck with getting my PPC (Orange SPV M5000, HTC Universal) WM5 device to work with the GPSlim236. I have also tried a number of things with my laptop (Apple Powerbook, MacOSX 10.4.6) and had similar results in terms of connecting and data flow.

I have done everything regarding setup and configuratin (except I had to use COM4 as COM7 is unavailable) and although I can pair with it, I cannot seem to get GPS co-ordinates out of it using any number GPS utils including the Holux GPS Viewer (for PPC), GPSinfo, GPSWizard or Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005.

Under GPS Viewer, I can connect to the device manually by setting the serial port (either COM4, the direct outgoing port, or COM8, the WM5 GPS comms device) and baud 38400 and I can issue cold, warm and hot restarts and instantly I notice the device loses signal and appears to take the appropriate amount of time to restart.

Given those problems, why am I not seeing any data coming back from the GPS over bluetooth? Does anybody have any ideas on this one?

The GPS is a Holux GPSlim236 serial number 236-54400337, it is a REV-B board with the manufacture date 005.05.02 and 0530 in the bottom right corner of the PCB and flash memory daughter board has a label with the number 150218 and FW-V1.52 (assumedly the firmware number).

cheers,
James
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, it is possible that the unit has been inadvertantly set to SiRF mode, but it really needs to be set to NMEA mode.
I use the TomTom GPS driver vs2,06 which you can download from the downloads section of this site, install it to the device and set it to SiRF, use the GPS Tab in the application then the upermost dropdown box to select between modes - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: