Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Map updates Reply with quote

Does anyone know how/when/if Michelin updates the map sources ?

Version 3 was an "upgrade" of the software but not, I think, of the map data. I'm wondering when the current map data was last updated and if anyone knows of a schedule for the next update.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one here seemed to know the answer, so I asked ViaMichelin, and (to my great surprise) I received this reply :

In reply to your message, we would like to inform you that our map data is updated once a year with each new version by our partner TeleAtlas.

The current cd ViaMichelin Navigation 3 includes the map data from end 2004.

A new version with a map update will be available mid November 2005.

It's not clear whether this will be a new boxed set of CDs or a website download, but look out for news in November.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that doesn't really help people with the 2.5 version of the maps upgraded to version 3 - or are these maps end on 2004 as well?

They are certainly as upto date as tomtom 5 around my local area (or very close to asl they contain all the same errors!) and definately more upto date than tomtom nav 3 (released April 2004)

Ian
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the map data is entirely separate from the software which uses it. That should indicate that whichever version of the software you have installed, the map data should be compatible.

The problem comes with obtaining updates. If current map data is only made available bundled with new releases of the software, then it becomes impossible to upgrade without re-buying the entire package, and if that were the case then I'd opt for a different system and drop ViaMichelin altogether. I want nothing to do with version 3. But if the map data is made available separately then I'd like to be able to get hold of it, and I might even be prepared to pay for it.

I paid €199 for my all-Europe package with software version 2.5, so how much would I be prepared to pay for updated maps ? Not very much ! Updates would probably only affect a very small part of the mass of data which came on 5 CDs, so I wouldn't feel like paying for something which is 99% the same as what I have already. Maybe I'd go as high as €10 ...
speedos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the latest maps without updating the software.

Basically for those of us that are "happy" with v2.5 and don't want to upgrade, but would like more up to date maps.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Jim
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps are always encoded to work with specific versions so for new maps you need to run the new version.

all gps companies appear to do this - mapolopolis is the exception I think.
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the response I had from viaMichelin to a query about map updates it would seem that if you purchased v2.5 then the map data is probably as at the end of 2003. Whilst those who purchased v3.0, as opposed to updating via a download, will have got 2004 mapping data.

I know from my own experience that the maps with v1.3 which was being sold by Expansys as well as v2.5 at the end of last year did not include the M6 toll road but the maps with v2.5 do.

The vM website makes it very clear that the only way to get updated maps is to buy v4 and that the new maps do not work with earlier versions. Clearly vM has a long way to go in understanding how to keep customers, those with TT can get map updates independent of software and the full upgrade to v5 only cost them €59 including all of the European maps.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry....that is wrong.

Tomtom users cannot get map updates independent of new software.

New maps were are only ever available with new tom tom software - v5 maps will not work on v4 v3 v2 or v1 etc.

as I said only mapolopolis is different in this as it allows map downloads for a year after purchase (although how upto date these maps are is anyones guess).
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Ianjc, I stand corrected, although I am certain that in the past I have seen reference to TT releasing regular map updates.

What is not disputable however is the price difference between what TT is charging its customer to upgrade to v5 with all new maps and what we are being asked to pay by vM for v4 with what are essentially the same maps (they both come from Tele-Atlas)
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtoms upgrade pricing policy is very good - makes up for the fact that x.0 versions are all ways terrible!

Laughing

I think VM have the price of this upgrade all wrong - when you can buy a tomtom one for £225 from argos asking £100 for UK software is pushing it.

Also tomtom with all the maps of Europe is only £115 full price this is for new users not an upgrade - for me it would be a no brainer to ditch VM.

I got VM to run on a tungsten E but would now buy a standalone unit rather than throw more money at this product.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elan2s

Update on tomtom maps.....

Tomtom now offer single country downloadable maps - these may be newer than those shipped with ttn5 Question but they don't say on the web site Exclamation

So now you're probably right and I'm probably wrong - either way it looks like tomtom have found a way to issue map updates via download.

Puts ever more pressure on VM and others I guess.
blusey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: VIAMICHELIN NAVIGATION 4 Reply with quote

Viamichelin navigation 4 is now available, go to the website (www.viamichelin.com) where you can purchase cd rom and sd memory card for 149 euro's. They sent me email this week, giving me 50 euro's promotional discount, as i registered my previous my version. they call it a loyalty bonus. Seems to have lots of new features on it
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: VIAMICHELIN NAVIGATION 4 Reply with quote

blusey wrote:
Viamichelin navigation 4 is now available, go to the website (www.viamichelin.com) where you can purchase cd rom and sd memory card for 149 euro's. They sent me email this week, giving me 50 euro's promotional discount, as i registered my previous my version. they call it a loyalty bonus. Seems to have lots of new features on it

If you go here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=29944
you will find that we have been debating the new software, the "loyalty" bonus and other issues surrounding the software.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I didn't load that link properly.

Here's another try:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=29944

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: