Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to enter full postcode in TT5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to enter full postcode in TT5
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weelogic

Then what you probably need is just the "zip" folder in the root of the hard drive. The "zip" folder should contain the Great_Britain.Postal file.

Give that a try, it can't do any harm.
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet,

Created a Zip folder at root level and copied the postcode file to it (was scared to move it Confused ).

Result - worked a treat.

Thanks so much
ntl1548
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Select 'Navigate to...' in the main menu.
2. Select the arrow to switch to the second 'Navigate to...' menu page.
3. Tap on the 'Postcode' icon
4. Here you can enter the full post code of your destination.

Note: If you selected 'Address' instead of 'Postcode' you will only be able to enter the first 4 digits of the postcode
For Pocket PC users only:
If you did selected 'Postcode' and you are still not able to enter the full postcode please follow the steps below.
5. Exit TomTom NAVIGATOR
6. Open the 'File Explorer' on your Pocket PC
7. Go to 'My Device' and then select 'Storage Card' or 'SD card' (depending on the Pocket PC)
8. Tap and hold the folder called 'ZIP' (which contains the full postcode database), then select 'Copy'
9. Now go back to 'My Device' and open the folder 'My Documents'
10. Tap and hold anywhere on the white screen, then select 'Paste'. The Folder 'ZIP' will now be copied from the SD card to the internal memory of your Pocket PC.
11. Start TomTom NAVIGATOR again to repeat step 1 to 4 which should now allow you to use full postcode search.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ntl1548 wrote:
Quote:
The Folder 'ZIP' will now be copied from the SD card to the internal memory of your Pocket PC.

That's the TomTom solution which I wouldn't recommend since you are using the PDA's internal memory which is a limited resource.

Far better to leave the Zip folder on the memory card and make sure that TTN5 can find it.

Roger
ntl1548
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you but i have tried all the other ways and this works and is very easy to do?
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I totally agree with you but i have tried all the other ways and this works and is very easy to do?

Yes, that's why TomTom suggested it, but I can assure you the other method works and saves around 8MB of internal memory.

Roger
Yazbulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: TT5 Postcodes Reply with quote

Never done this forum thing before, so no idea if this will end up in the right place!!!!!

Anyway, like many, one of the main reasons I upgraded to TT5 from TT2 was the postcode search, (but also the itinerary planning).

Couldn't figure out why I only ever got part postcodes until I read various posts here. But yes, just put empty folder named tomtom on the card with the maps as suggested, and bingo....7 digit postcodes appear!!!

But can anyone answer this one? In absence of postcodes on TT2, if got really stuck on address (usually Welsh ones) would stick postcode into www.Multimap at home on PC, then make note of West/North co-ordinates, tap them into TomTom and save as a favourite. Is there any way of searching by co-ordinates on TT5?

Would be good if there is, because before upgrading, I noted down a load of co-ordinates of favourites saved in France, (in case they disapeared, which they did) and now I appear to have no way of finding those places again.

Think TT5 is bit of disappointment in many ways. POI management and notification was much better using TT2 and Checkpoint, much prefer to hear my kids shout 'McDonalds' than Jane!!!!! Also, had TT2 France on 256Mb cf card, so no mention of TT5 France being bigger, so in addition to the £39 for TT5 had to shell out for 512Mb cf card!!!!
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20654

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: