Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 5 - UK TMC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 5 - UK TMC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Navigon 5 - UK TMC? Reply with quote

Received Navigon 5 last night and happily loaded it all up (easy process only took a few minutes).

However, when using it although it locks on to the correct TMC radio signal (Classic FM) it is, seemingly, not receiving any data. I checked with a friend of mine who does a similar route in and he received quite a few messages on his version 4 pda.

I also have the Y adaptor for the radio so signal strength was not a problem.

I have sent an email to Navigon support and will copy in their response. Just wondering if they have disabled TMC support for the UK.

Has anyone else got the new software yet and how are you getting on?
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I posted this very question on the gpspassion forums a little while ago.

"GPSPASSION" called a contact at Navigon who confirmed that they had not included the UK TMC codes in MN5 as they could not reach an agreement.
You may have confirmed this bit of info if you cannot receieve the messages Sad

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28809

I think that was the only RDS service in the UK for PDA's ?

Any first impressions on the software? How does it compare to 4?

Hopefully we will see a review soon
Dog_Boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that rules me out of buying or upgrading to 5.

I bought the TMC reciever with Nav 4 and I'll be damned if I'm going to waste all that money just because Navigon are money hungry.

They are charging so much more for this version and it has important features like TMC missging? Shove it I say.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the thread with interest.

Have just read the gpspassion site, and was going to post here - but you beat me to it.

I to was using I was using TT3 (and very happy with it), however I wanted a TMC option and prefer the RDS route (my mobile network does not support GPRS) and so took the Navigon MN4 route (with the intention to upgrade to MN5)

I am (I am sure we all are) very suprised to hear that MN5 does no longer support TMC in the UK. Navigon does not use GPRS only RDS, this gives the software no TMC at all in the UK. How can anyone call this an upgrade?

I also note that the sell MN5 on the navigon site (with UK maps) with no mention that TMC is not supported in the UK. Indeed the site is misleading and most certainly suggests that GB is included as the FAQ states:

Can I still use my old GPS Receiver with MN|5?
Yes, all GPS receivers offered by NAVIGON so far (including those with TMC) can be used with MN|5 as well as all other GPS receivers that are NMEA compatibel and transmit VTG and GGA signals. This is expected to be a standard with almost any receiver available and can be checked at the producer's website.

In what countries is TMC reception possible?
The following countries currently offer TMC:

Germany
Denmark
Sweden
Finland
Great Britain
Belgium
The Netherlands
Austria
Switzerland
France
Italy
Spain
The following countries are planning to introduce TMC in the near future:

Hungary
Czech Republic
Portugal
More countries are expected to follow later.

It does appear however this this information is correct (www.pocketgpsworld.com) and TMC is NOT supported!
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog_Boy wrote:
Well that rules me out of buying or upgrading to 5.

I bought the TMC reciever with Nav 4 and I'll be damned if I'm going to waste all that money just because Navigon are money hungry.

They are charging so much more for this version and it has important features like TMC missging? Shove it I say.

Agreed. A number of use have already paid an outlay to move to the TMC receiver based system, and upgrade principally to keep maps up to date. The new version now has more expensive (and less friendly) maps with the loss of map export, and the total loss of TMC in the UK (RDS is the only option in Navigon)

Worse of all - the website does even mention that there is no longer TMC!
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to confirm this with Navigon with more than one email however have had no reply so far.
I was hoping to buy some nav software in the near future and was set on MN5 so this was a bit of a blow.
Not sure why the PDA software companies have trouble coming to an arrangement with ITIS. Quite a few factory fit systems have the TMC data disks.

Maybe Alturion will be able to strike a deal and give us another option. I think that was mentioned as a possibilty in the review on this site. At least if that happens you may still be able to use the Navigon receiver etc.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have tried to confirm this with Navigon with more than one email however have had no reply so far.

I haved email Navigon in the past (prior to buying MN4) and have found that they do eventually reply but are very slow (i.e weeks not days)

Quote:
I was hoping to buy some nav software in the near future and was set on MN5 so this was a bit of a blow.

I am in a similar position, only recently moved from TT3 to MN4 specifically because of RDS/TMC (I prefer TT3, but with RDS/TMC MN4 wins hands down.

Quote:
Not sure why the PDA software companies have trouble coming to an arrangement with ITIS. Quite a few factory fit systems have the TMC data disks.

Agreed. It is not like the system is emerging technology with Navigon being the first company to use it. Other factory fits systems have a licensing agreement with ITIS - why does the same not apply to PDA software?

Quote:
Maybe Alturion will be able to strike a deal and give us another option

As we know Alturion does not yet support the UK. Assuming this is a licencing issue, and Navigon (who did support TMC with ITIS) are no longer able to, it may suggest that Alturion will be able to support TMC either. As far as I know the only alternative, but has little press is Destinator 3 Professional - but again we would need to confirm.

This is such a step back - Perhaps the future is TomTom with GPRS?
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Gpspassion site, the adminstrator seems to have a contact at Navigon (and reported the lack of TMC)

I posted on the gps passion site and asked
Quote:
"The Navigon website does not state that this is no longer TMC in the UK. Some upgrade - MN4 works well - and MN5 is five steps backwards.

If you have a contact in Navigon - is this just a delay in adding support for UK - or is the UK no longer supported at all?

The reply was posted "No I understand negotiations fell through for some reason, didn't seem there was any hope to have TMC back for now"

So appears that this is the end for Navigon in the UK!!!
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a little concerned that Navigon seem to think it's OK to sell people an upgrade in the UK with a significant part of the system missing - Without telling people.

They are still advertising TMC in the UK as supported on their website.

I have now had 5 GPS systems and I have found MN4 the least reliable of the lot - perhaps I've been spoilt with the likes of Garmin. At least when I switched my Streetpilot on I knew it would work first time.

If this TMC discussion is true (and I have no reason to think it isn't) Navigon have just :-

1. Hiked the price of map data into the ridiculous.
2. Failed to deliver a significant part of their product in the UK and haven't exactly been open about it.
3. Removed Mapexport from the offering.

As far as I'm concerned this is the icing on the cake with Navigon - I'm looking for something else .
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If this TMC discussion is true (and I have no reason to think it isn't) Navigon have just :-

1. Hiked the price of map data into the ridiculous.
2. Failed to deliver a significant part of their product in the UK and haven't exactly been open about it.
3. Removed Mapexport from the offering.

As far as I'm concerned this is the icing on the cake with Navigon - I'm looking for something else .

I doubted the information at first, thinking that the wouldnt remove TMC for the UK (i.e IMO the single feature that pushs me to Navigon from TT3), however this now seems to be confirmed from several sources including the gpspassion admin, in addition to this are the map issues.

I have contacted Navigon support, but as you would expect there is no response.

I prefer the RDS/TMC system to GPRS (as I dont get GPRS on my network, and no data costs), however previously navigon was the only company to support this in the UK. With the new version, there is no PDA navigation software for the UK that supports RDS/TMC

The only other company is Alturion who plan UK support but do not yet provide it (a situation that has been ongoing for a substantial time). In terms of TMC for factory fit systems, this is gaining in popularity.

From reading the Gpspassion forum, and the Co-Pilot thread it appears that the problem is caused by ITIS who no longer required a one off fee to access the data, but instead an annual fee (no idea how much).

My idea solution would be TT3 with RDS TMC, however TT3 prefer the GPRS route. I am sure I will move to which ever company is first able to provide support for RDS TMC - and hence the first company to do so will be sure to gain market share, expanding into the space left by navigon.
sas-boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Navigon Reply with quote

I have tried to confirm that the TMC is working in the UK with Navigon with more than five emails however, have had no reply so far.
i have been set on MN5 for so long this is abit of a blow if TMC is not working in the UK as it was the main reason for me buying it, still waiting after six week for delivery not happy.
Quote:

Maybe ITIS will sort something out for pda users with a one off pay thing so we can use navigon 5 and TMC in the UK,lets hope ITIS read this and sort somthing out for the users and not the fat cats.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: