Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with CoPilot Live - Returning for refund
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with CoPilot Live - Returning for refund
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: 'Give ALK a call.....' Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Giving ALK a call sounds a breeze, just like calling a pal. Until you try. I tried today - all day at about hourly intervals and all I got was an answering machine telling me that all the operators were busy. It didn't even give the option to hang on and wait until someone was free. The only option is to leave a message and wait until they ring back. But who on earth has got the time to sit around waiting for the call back when you don't have a clue when or if it will happen. Talk about Taking the Mickey! The irony is that I only bought CoPilot after deciding that TomTom customer service was the worst on earth (well OK second to eBay).

My early trials of CoPilot 5 aren't too promising either, so far it seems vastly inferior to TomTom Navigator. I had to have three attempts at downloading data to a storage card. During the 10 mile trial run I did tonight it lost the satellite completely on three occasions and CoPilot had to be restarted. It doesn't show the route or speed in navigation mode. And as far as I could see there were two options for types of vehicle - car and RV, no mention of aeroplanes at all - so why on earth do I keep seeing the distance remaining in 'Air Miles' ? Unless CoPilot expects me to start going cross-country I cannot see any possible use for giving the distance that way.
I don't seem to be able to search for a location without planning a route to it. The speech volume (which is already bad on an Ipaq 5550) is too low to hear, and is anyway basic to put it mildly. There is no manual on the CD's, the help in the program itself is scant, and the help on the ALK website consists of a very few FAQ's. I could go on but you're probably well bored by now. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and haven't given CoPilot a fair crack of the whip yet - but my early impression is that TomTom is in a different league.
Ted
xantia
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tedkay, my sentiments completly, I feel the CoPilot5 is far inferior to TT3. After several post and help from Dave & robin2, I am still of the same opinion. Anyone want to buy a CoPilot5.

Mike
johnbarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello tedkay,

I think you are being a little unfair to CoPilot5, though I can't compare it with TT3, only with NavMan SmartST 2.

I have called ALK on a couple of occasions in the last week and got through with little delay to someone who was able to give me immediate and useful answers.

There is a manual on the CD. Admittedly the help on the PDA is a bit sparse, but have you looked at the help in the companion PC application? There is plenty there, covering both PC and PDA topics.

I use CoPilot5 with an iPaq h5550 and find the volume just as good as NavMan - i.e. both of them need amplification in the car (I use and Arkon powered PDA mount for this).

Regards,
John
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: CoPilot needs TomTom as Its' copilot! Reply with quote

My trial goes on. I reinstalled everything today to ensure I hadn't had a bad install the first time. The insall progrm itself is full of glitches (eg halfway thru the download a pop-up window appears UNDER the preceding one, so you can't read what it says!) The install locked on the download twice and I had to CTrL ALT DeL and restart twice! Today I saved a route on the pc and copied it to Pocket PC. When I entered that route (58 miles Ringwood to Aldermaston) it informed me that the distance is 3515 air miles!! (I'm still totally befuddled by the air miles thing anyway!) This is most disappointing because it was the ability to allow routes to be planned on the PC then transferred to the Pocket PC that drew me to it. I have to say that the PC version is something like 10 years behind any other PC mapping software I use (eg you can't grab the screen and move around it - you have to use the scroll bars top and bottom which is archaic and tedious,' you can't do a simple place search, it doesn't even name your stops onscreen as you enter them which makes it extremely difficult to plan a route across the map with multiple stops, it has little keyboard functionality. It does have a comprehensive help section, a great deal of which is for the Pocket PC version. More of this in the PocketPC help files would be very useful - what's there now is very limited and in these days of high capacity storage cards some extra text files are hardly going to fill them up. Bearing in mind that this is by nature a mobile tool it seems remarkable that CoPilot keeps 99% of the PocketPC help files in the desktop version!

It doesn't seem able to keep hold of the satellite for more than a few minutes at a time, then the program has to be restarted to get a fix back.

I tried the support line again today - still all busy and no option to hold on. Left a message for them to ring me back but so far no response.

Does anyone know what the two little arrows and symbol beside them at the bottom right corner of the (PocketPC) screen are for? Clicking on them does nothing....

I feel that CoPilot have focused on some gimmicky features to make the program more saleable and in the process misssed out some very important functions.

I will be keeping TomTom so I can do some navigating - if I relied on CoPilot I would never reach a destination!

Ted
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

I'm not sure what you meant when you said that you got through to ALK 'with little delay'. Did you mean that you didn't get the answering machine? - in which case one would asume that a human answered and you would have had no delay at all. Or did you get a different answerphone message to the one I got (get), a message which DOES allow you to hang on until someone is free and you only had a short delay in a queue?

I am continuing to test CoPilot (see heading 'CoPilot needs TomTom as its' copilot) - I hope with an open mind. But I can only speak as I find and so far I find CoPilot vastly inferior to TomTom. Anywat I have had to buy CoPilot to find out so ALK won't be bothered about my views becasue they have my money now!

For the record I use TomTom and CoPilot on the same 5550 and the TomTom volume is a lot louder than CoPilots. TomTom is loud enough to hear without an additional speaker in a car (not in a van or RV).

How can I be being 'unfair' to CoPilot when I am simply describing my issues with it?
Ted
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Give ALK a call.....' Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
Giving ALK a call sounds a breeze, just like calling a pal. Until you try. I tried today - all day at about hourly intervals and all I got was an answering machine telling me that all the operators were busy. It didn't even give the option to hang on and wait until someone was free. The only option is to leave a message and wait until they ring back. But who on earth has got the time to sit around waiting for the call back when you don't have a clue when or if it will happen. Talk about Taking the Mickey!

ALK are receiving a lot of calls, most are for sales and this is causing problems on their phone lines. They have been pretty good at calling people back, if you leave your name and number.

tedkay wrote:
My early trials of CoPilot 5 aren't too promising either, so far it seems vastly inferior to TomTom Navigator. I had to have three attempts at downloading data to a storage card. During the 10 mile trial run I did tonight it lost the satellite completely on three occasions and CoPilot had to be restarted.

Satellite issues aren't hardware issues, but I guess it depends which GPS you are using or the PDA, I haven't experienced any lock-ups whatsoever when satellite lock has been lost.

Make sure you have around 15mb of free program memory available before starting CoPilot as if you are below 10mb then this can cause some memory issues.

tedkay wrote:
It doesn't show the route or speed in navigation mode.

Speed isn't available, and routing is just for driving, if you want to see the route you need guidance and switch to 2D or 3D view for a map view.

tedkay wrote:
And as far as I could see there were two options for types of vehicle - car and RV, no mention of aeroplanes at all - so why on earth do I keep seeing the distance remaining in 'Air Miles' ?

You usually see this when you are within a few feet, I haven't see anything over a few feet.

tedkay wrote:
I don't seem to be able to search for a location without planning a route to it.

You plan a trip, you don't have to complete the whole trip, just start a new trip, search for the location, add it to the itinerary, tap and hold the address and you can show map.

tedkay wrote:
I could go on but you're probably well bored by now. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and haven't given CoPilot a fair crack of the whip yet - but my early impression is that TomTom is in a different league.

Personally I don't think you've given CoPilot a try, use it day in day out and that's where you will see the advantages of CoPilot. Actually being able to search for an address and have it appear rather than having to zoom into an are of the map like you do have to a lot on TomTom.

tedkay wrote:
The insall progrm itself is full of glitches (eg halfway thru the download a pop-up window appears UNDER the preceding one, so you can't read what it says!) The install locked on the download twice and I had to CTrL ALT DeL and restart twice!

Which OS are you running and Service Pack ? Try installing maps to SD through a card reader, I haven't had any problems this way (not through ActiveSync - although I find AS extremely slow on any installs).

tedkay wrote:
Today I saved a route on the pc and copied it to Pocket PC. When I entered that route (58 miles Ringwood to Aldermaston) it informed me that the distance is 3515 air miles!!

Did you drive the route ? If so, can you send me the track file.

tedkay wrote:
It doesn't seem able to keep hold of the satellite for more than a few minutes at a time, then the program has to be restarted to get a fix back.

Keeping hold of satellites isn't a software issue, that's a GPS issue. GPS Receivers acquire satellites all on their own, they don't need the software to receive them and they don't get affected by the software that's receiving it. It sounds to me that you're running very low on memory or have a bad driver installed somewhere causing this problem.

tedkay wrote:
Does anyone know what the two little arrows and symbol beside them at the bottom right corner of the (PocketPC) screen are for? Clicking on them does nothing....

This is a LIVE indication on whether you have a LIVE feed or not. Also used for Traffic.

tedkay wrote:
I will be keeping TomTom so I can do some navigating - if I relied on CoPilot I would never reach a destination!

I find that extremely hard to believe. I did a test the other day on searching for 10 addresses I picked out by pin-pointing an AutoRoute map. I was able to find 5 addresses using TomTom Navigator, and 9 using CoPilot. I think that's where the NAVTEQ maps are much more reliable than TeleAtlas maps.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

I’m afraid I don’t agree with you at all. The more I use CoPilot the more deficiencies I find with it. I’m quite surprised at the apparent force of your feelings about criticism of CoPilot….

No phone support. I really don’t accept the old stock excuse that they are too busy to answer the phone, or even allow the customer to hang on until someone is free. If they are that busy then that means they have sold that much of their product and they should employ sufficient staff to provide the phone support their advertising promises. I rang repeatedly last week and got the answering machine each time. I left my number for a call-back and that has not come. Anyway as I said previously it is unreasonable of them to expect a customer to sit around and wait for a call-back that they have no way of knowing if or when it will come – that scenario means that in effect they take over your life because you have to sit there by your phone until they decide to ring (if in fact they do at all). It is hardly realistic for you to compare your personal experience with their service to mine – they have a huge vested interest in giving you good service. I sent them an email several days ago which is still unanswered (at least they can claim parity with TomTom in that respect – but unfortunately I bought CoPilot hoping they might improve upon TomToms’ abysmal support).

Yesterday I used it in the Reading area, using a TomTom BTGPS unit. I used both TT Navigator and CoPilot alternately. Using TT Navigator the satellite fix was of good strength whenever I used it. CoPilot lost it’s fix repeatedly despite reporting the connection to the receiver being fine. Each time the only way to get the fix back was to soft reset the Ipaq and restart. I have plenty of memory available. The program hung on several occasions. These problems alone are sufficient to render CoPilot unusable.

My point about the Guidance versus Navigating mode in CoPilot was that you can’t see the planned route in Navigating mode, only in guidance. It is very useful in TT to be able to switch between the two and still see the planned route in map view because you see a much bigger picture and can take an alternate route to avoid any hold ups at a glance. Anyway, how can you check a route chosen by CoPilot if you can’t switch to map view and zoom out to see the entire route? Once I have chosen 3D view in Guidance mode there is no option in the menu to go back to Map view.

Air miles – my point, as I am sure you know, was that there is absolutely no use or reason for giving distances in a program for driving navigation in air miles – no matter how far away you happen to be. A few hundred ‘air yards’ could in fact be a lot more on the road. I would be interested to hear ALKs’ explanation for something so utterly stupid.

I mentioned that you can’t simply search for a place, you have to plan a trip, and you replied:

‘You plan a trip, you don't have to complete the whole trip, just start a new trip, search for the location, add it to the itinerary, tap and hold the address and you can show map.’
Well how clumsy and laborious is that? And when you show the place in the Map view you can’t tap and hold it and save it as a favourite – another major failing.

I have also found that the POI alert takes over the entire screen and requires user input to get rid of it. So suddenly your guidance has disappeared altogether. When you cancel it there are no audible or other warnings and since the minimum distance away it can be set to appear is 0.5 miles the feature is completely useless (at least as far as Safety Cameras are concerned).

The safety screen is a nightmare. It pops up seemingly at random and at no given speed. In my opinion the safety screen is not more safe anyway. I fail to see the difference in terms of safety between looking at a screen with text on it and a couple of symbols, and a map with the route ahead on it. In fact because the map view shows the road ahead with junctions, bends etc. that is more conducive to safety that the so called safety screen. Anyway why does it keep appearing unbidden?

Re: my install problems. I am running XP SP2. I was downloading to 512 MB SD card through a card reader.

You said:

‘Personally I don't think you've given CoPilot a try, use it day in day out and that's where you will see the advantages of CoPilot. Actually being able to search for an address and have it appear rather than having to zoom into an are of the map like you do have to a lot on TomTom.’

But in TT the beauty of being able to zoom into the area of the map is that you can see all the surrounding area and get a good mental picture of the locality. You can also search for a place and then simply hold the stylus on it and save the place as favourite. CoPilot doesn’t give this option – in fact its’ whole favourites system is clumsy and confusing.
I can’t use it day in and day out because it keeps hanging, or losing the satellite or both. I have persisted (having to repeatedly pull-over and reset the Ipaq) to try and give it a fair trial.

I agree that Navteq maps are better. Unfortunately CoPilot more than loses that advantage by its’ hugely reduced functionality. There is no comparison for instance between TT’s extensive array of options and menus and CoPilots’ very basic offering.

Roll on TomToms’ next release!

Regards
Ted
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted,

If you don't like CoPilot I'm certainly not here to try and change your mind, but a couple of observations:

You say: "since the minimum distance away it can be set to appear is 0.5 miles the feature is completely useless"

The minimum distance you can set for POI alerting, including safety cameras, is 0.2 miles (you need to scroll up the options list).

You say: "I have also found that the POI alert takes over the entire screen and requires user input to get rid of it."

You can respond to the POI alert immediately to dismiss it if you choose, but if you do nothing it should time out and vanish after a few seconds anyway.

I suspect it is these type of errors that suggest to some readers that you haven't spent much time with the product. If you have & you still don't like it, fair enough, it would be a dull world if everyone liked the same things.

Some other observations just in case you haven't given up on CoPilot completely just yet:

Re Safety screen: I'm no great fan myself, the cut in speed is very low and not adjustable so basically you get a map when approaching a junction or when stopped. I do find it helps when I'm driving motorways as I have caught myself on occasion watching the map for interest and just having the black screen/countdown is safer for me at least. So I only use it on motorways.

I really like in CoPilot5 that with a couple of seconds and 3 jabs of a finger (one to bring up top row buttons, second to hit "Change View" button, 3rd to pick my chosen view) I can select any of the map views (I think) you are describing.

I can get:
- Current area 2D
- Current area 3D
- 2D map to next turn
- 2D map to destination

To me this is quicker and safer than messing around with zoom levels and better than what I remember of TomTom (apologies if wrong, it's been a while).

Plus on any map you can set it such that tapping the map with your finger will zoom in to that location (or box zoom).

I certainly don't believe it is perfect, and I agree that not being able to search for a place without routing to it is a pain, but in the 'where it counts' area of map quality, routing quality, instructions & on-screen mapping whilst driving for me it is still the best I have seen.

Kind regards

Crash
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
No phone support. I really don?t accept the old stock excuse that they are too busy to answer the phone, or even allow the customer to hang on until someone is free. If they are that busy then that means they have sold that much of their product and they should employ sufficient staff to provide the phone support their advertising promises.

It's not as simple as employing people over night. You need to employ the right people and train them. I have forwarded this onto ALK and I'll see what I get back.

tedkay wrote:
Yesterday I used it in the Reading area, using a TomTom BTGPS unit. I used both TT Navigator and CoPilot alternately. Using TT Navigator the satellite fix was of good strength whenever I used it. CoPilot lost it?s fix repeatedly despite reporting the connection to the receiver being fine. Each time the only way to get the fix back was to soft reset the Ipaq and restart. I have plenty of memory available. The program hung on several occasions. These problems alone are sufficient to render CoPilot unusable.

There is a memory leak problem, it happens mainly if you run CPL5 with less than 15mb ProgMem Free, and ALK are working on a fix for this (check other threads in the forum).

tedkay wrote:
My point about the Guidance versus Navigating mode in CoPilot was that you can?t see the planned route in Navigating mode, only in guidance. It is very useful in TT to be able to switch between the two and still see the planned route in map view because you see a much bigger picture and can take an alternate route to avoid any hold ups at a glance. Anyway, how can you check a route chosen by CoPilot if you can?t switch to map view and zoom out to see the entire route? Once I have chosen 3D view in Guidance mode there is no option in the menu to go back to Map view.

You switch to 3D view or WHERE AM I and this will show you the map. If you want 2D map choose WHERE AM I.

tedkay wrote:
Well how clumsy and laborious is that? And when you show the place in the Map view you can?t tap and hold it and save it as a favourite ? another major failing.

Ted, I'm afraid you're wrong. You can tap and hold a place on the map, you go to PLANNING MODE.

tedkay wrote:
I have also found that the POI alert takes over the entire screen and requires user input to get rid of it. So suddenly your guidance has disappeared altogether. When you cancel it there are no audible or other warnings and since the minimum distance away it can be set to appear is 0.5 miles the feature is completely useless (at least as far as Safety Cameras are concerned).

As already explained in the post above, the screen will time out (it's a long time-out but it times out and will disappear. SC's can be set at 0.2 miles.

tedkay wrote:
The safety screen is a nightmare. It pops up seemingly at random and at no given speed. In my opinion the safety screen is not more safe anyway. I fail to see the difference in terms of safety between looking at a screen with text on it and a couple of symbols, and a map with the route ahead on it. In fact because the map view shows the road ahead with junctions, bends etc. that is more conducive to safety that the so called safety screen. Anyway why does it keep appearing unbidden?

The whole point about a Safety Screen is that it gives you less information (like a map) so you're not constantly trying to zoom in, pan around whilst driving and it has that same effect. The Safety Screen will always default to on when in Guidance mode and is on a timeout facility.

tedkay wrote:
Re: my install problems. I am running XP SP2. I was downloading to 512 MB SD card through a card reader.

Not sure why you experienced this problem as I'm running XP SP2 on my 3 laptops and 1 PC here and CoPilot hasn't had a problem. There maybe some underlying problem on your PC perhaps, or something else that caused this to happen.

tedkay wrote:
But in TT the beauty of being able to zoom into the area of the map is that you can see all the surrounding area and get a good mental picture of the locality. You can also search for a place and then simply hold the stylus on it and save the place as favourite. CoPilot doesn?t give this option ? in fact its? whole favourites system is clumsy and confusing.

You can do this by changing to the map view of either WHERE AM I or 3D View, you still get the local area and you can zoom in and zoom out. You can tap/hold on screen, you have to switch to PLANNING MODE for this.

tedkay wrote:
I can?t use it day in and day out because it keeps hanging, or losing the satellite or both. I have persisted (having to repeatedly pull-over and reset the Ipaq) to try and give it a fair trial.

Losing satellite is nothing to do with the software, the NMEA stream is read and interpreted by all applications when it receives it. The only way it will keep losing a fix is if the NMEA data is corrupted or not complete, or you don't have a lock on to enough satellites.

How much ProgMem do you have free before running CoPilot ?

I think from what you have said so far that you're not able to test this every other day, and don't have the time to give it a good run. If that's the case then changing from any application is going to be a learning curve, and I think it's probably better that you do stay with TomTom. Switching from any application to another will be a learning curve with hurdles to overcome when you're already very used to another application. That's why we take a 4 week process of reviewing products because we make sure we spend enough quality time reviewing the product inside and out. I think from what you've said (and what I've replied to in this message) that you haven't seen all of the features or understood them thoroughly enough to compare them to TomTom.

I agree the manual isn't that great, but it's not with most application (no excuse there though). I don't use the manual for any of the applications I review, I just sit down and work hard at it and test each feature out and try to understand what it's doing. Like most people do with most applications. They don't usually break open a Word manual to understand how Word works, or Outlook.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I’m not looking to argue and I do appreciate your exhaustive replies. I should think some of the info you have given will be appreciated by others too.

The POI 0.5 distance I quoted was actually simply me forgetting the exact figure because I report from memory. In fact I knew it was 0.2 but it’s academic anyway, the point is that because there are no repeats as you close in on the POI (Safety Camera) after you have cancelled it, you are likely to forget it. My biggest problem with it is that it takes over the entire screen and completely obliterates the guidance until you cancel it. This happened again today just as I was approaching a complicated junction at a time when I didn’t want to be finger stabbing the screen, because I was feverishly scanning signposts to ascertain which way to go. There is no need for the warning to take the entire screen and I think it may be that CoPilot programmers, mindful of the memory issue you referred-to are reluctant to use overlays.

I know that it takes time to learn new software, but I think I can reasonably expect a good proportion to be intuitive. If it isn’t the learning curve is much bigger. You mentioned in response to my stating that there is no option to switch back from 3d to 2d mode ‘You switch to 3D view or WHERE AM I and this will show you the map. If you want 2D map choose WHERE AM I.’ Well there is nothing intuitive about a menu which requires me to choose ‘Where am I’ when I want to change the map view. Call me picky but I would expect to be zoomed into a map portion where I am if I choose that option. What if I want to go back to 2d and don’t want to go to where I am? Would it to so hard for the menu to simply offer an option ‘2D View’? Ninety percent of the things you have pointed out to me in terms of using the program do no appear in the help files or the pathetic few small printed pages that CoPilot has the effrontery to describe (in their advertising) as a Manual. So how is one expected to ‘learn’ all this?

I have to say that in your replies you seem to ignore any points that are valid or only reply to part of my comment. For instance you did not say anything about the random nature of the Safety Screen (which needs two taps to get rid off), nor the fact that the ability to see upcoming bends and junctions can certainly be said to help safe driving. It is anyway disorientating to have this screen popping up whenever it feels like it and swapping between Safety and Map wildly. Nobody can tell me that this is anything other than distracting and distinctly Unsafe.

I said that CoPilot keeps losing its’ satellite fix. You said that this has nothing to do with the software. So how come when I alternate with TomTom I get the problem only in CoPilot? CoPilot keeps thinking it has no fix, that is the problem. Here’s an example from today. I had a fix (7 satellites) and planned a route of a few miles. I drove those few miles and everything was OK. I then planned a route to another destination, found the place, selected Start Driving and the screen displayed a message in big red letters ‘Couldn’t open Com port’ . Checking the GPS status showed no satellite reception. So I had to restart the program. The GPS was fine. Then I went into Planning Mode and found a new destination. I then chose Get Directions and then went to the Guidance Mode. I then got the message ‘GPS Receiving off. Turn on for Navigation’. The screen then switched to map with a message saying ‘Enter a Stop for Route Guidance’. I thought I had already done this and I went back to The GPS options and found that I had 7 satellites again! It seems that whenever I try to plan a new destination the GPS fix is lost.

You speak of the memory leak that CoPilot are working on as if it was a minor factor. In fact it prevents the program from running properly or hangs the PDA, and this can hardly be dismissed as a minor inconvenience. It makes the software unusable which is not something to be brushed aside. It means that CoPilot have sold me a program with a major known fault. Similarly I do not expect to be considered unreasonable in highlighting their abysmal customer support because they have staff problems! That is their business and they are well aware of it and still advertise phone support to help them sell the software. The answering machine enables them to cut off phone support at their whim, and if they get away with this kind of cavalier attitude to their customers they will have no need or incentive to improve the situation.

Something else rather odd happened today. Driving along near Reading my wife and I thought it would be a nice idea to find somewhere by the Thames to stop. The trouble was that when I came to look for the Thames on the map it wasn’t there! Neither was the Kennet, nor The Kennet & Avon Canal. In fact the only water shown appeared to be a couple of lakes.

I can’t find an option to put a compass on screen. This is quite essential in a program that gives instructions directionally as in ‘ Go North on Sulhamstead Hill and’. (That truncated message is exactly as it appears until the mode changes - in it’s own sweet time).

I can assure that having spent the best part of £250 on this with the EU map key I want it too be good, better than TomTom – nobody likes to admit they have been had. I haven’t quite given up yet but I am getting near it. I am really fed up with its’ lack of intuitiveness, and use of inaccurate phrases on the menus. Maybe I’m a miserable old sod because I don’t find stuff like ‘Where am I’ anything other than a vain attempt at being fresh and trendy. I think the plain and simple (and concise) phrase ‘Current Location’ does the job very well. And if you throw in the fact that ‘Where am I’ can actually mean ‘Switch to 2D Mode’ it becomes even more stupid.

Ted
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to Ted he appears to be experiencing something that most non experts fear. Buying an expensive product and either not getting it working right or the product just not performing. This is usually, in my experience , down to an over optimistic expectation of its ease of use. The fault there lies with the manufacturers who paint a positive view of its features but ignore the fact that not everyone has time, or the inclination, to spend hours studying a manual or trying things out. "We" expect things to just work and why the heck not? The first manufacturer who puts the main effort into intuitive user interfaces and puts nice to have features second will clean up.

I'm still confident that CP5 will be OK for me but if Ted's experience is repeated for me, despite the typically helpful posts of Dave and others, then ALK's reputation will take a turn for the worse. Dealing with customers, of the non retail variety, for many years as an IT Project Manager I have come to learn that in most cases it is "finger trouble" or a rogue server for instance that is the root cause. However Ted's troubles seem harder to diagnose as that and may be a combination of bad luck and loss of confidenece in CP5. Answer? I dunno! Apart from stick with TT3 but having spent his hard earned cash..............

I think ALK should get their act together as this is not the first complaint over customer support I've seen here. As the bulk of their sales now and in the future will be more and more into "Joe Public" rather than experienced users the sooner the better.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
I?m not looking to argue and I do appreciate your exhaustive replies. I should think some of the info you have given will be appreciated by others too.

Me neither, just trying to point out I think you've missed quite a bit of the features (or how they work).

tedkay wrote:
The POI 0.5 distance I quoted was actually simply me forgetting the exact figure because I report from memory. In fact I knew it was 0.2 but it?s academic anyway, the point is that because there are no repeats as you close in on the POI (Safety Camera) after you have cancelled it, you are likely to forget it.

This shouldn't be a problem when set to 0.2 miles but I do totally agree it's something that can be forgotten if you want more advanced notification, and this is something I keep drumming onto ALK about.

tedkay wrote:
My biggest problem with it is that it takes over the entire screen and completely obliterates the guidance until you cancel it.

Ted, that's not true (or it shouldn't do). There is a long timeout (I'm not sure how long exactly but I believe it to be around 15-20 secs). If you have multiple speed cameras on the same road and you are tripping the alert off for each camera in succession then it may seem like the camera isn't disappearing and that may be what you have experienced. Typical example of this would prob be the M25 overhead gantries between M3 and M4.

tedkay wrote:
I know that it takes time to learn new software, but I think I can reasonably expect a good proportion to be intuitive. If it isn?t the learning curve is much bigger.

Strangely enough I have been receiving a lot of emails recently from newbies saying they're having great difficulty getting on with TTN but are getting on well with CoPilot Live. For me (like you) it took a lot longer to get used to CoPilot Live than TomTom, and I think it works in different ways for different knowledge sets. There is a learning curve with all apps, but CoPilot (when you're very used to TomTom) is a much larger learning curve, but when you get there you'll love it (hopefully!) I certainly do!

tedkay wrote:
You mentioned in response to my stating that there is no option to switch back from 3d to 2d mode ?You switch to 3D view or WHERE AM I and this will show you the map. If you want 2D map choose WHERE AM I.? Well there is nothing intuitive about a menu which requires me to choose ?Where am I? when I want to change the map view. Call me picky

Picky ;-). No I do agree here, and it's something I have requested gets changed. I would much prefer 2D and 3D here. I only found this out and a lot more by experimenting (which is what I do with all software).

tedkay wrote:
but I would expect to be zoomed into a map portion where I am if I choose that option. What if I want to go back to 2d and don?t want to go to where I am? Would it to so hard for the menu to simply offer an option ?2D View??

Agreed, as I said above.

tedkay wrote:
I have to say that in your replies you seem to ignore any points that are valid or only reply to part of my comment. For instance you did not say anything about the random nature of the Safety Screen (which needs two taps to get rid off), nor the fact that the ability to see upcoming bends and junctions can certainly be said to help safe driving. It is anyway disorientating to have this screen popping up whenever it feels like it and swapping between Safety and Map wildly. Nobody can tell me that this is anything other than distracting and distinctly Unsafe.

Having to look at the screen for an up and coming screen is dangerous because you are taking your eyes off the road. That's why the Safety Screen (and why it's called just that) cuts in to stop you looking at the map. CoPilot works much better if you have TTS installed because it will tell you to turn left onto such and such road and will give you much more detail. If I ever want to see the road then I switch to WHERE AM I or 3D and this works for me. Two taps of the screen and I'm there. Basically the more time you stare at the screen (be it safety screen or map) the more dangerous it is to you and other road drivers. Most people like to look at and fiddle with maps and that's why CoPilot's Safety Screen cuts in so quick to try and stop you doing that, but give you the basic information on where to go so you're not left dangling without any information.

tedkay wrote:
I said that CoPilot keeps losing its? satellite fix. You said that this has nothing to do with the software. So how come when I alternate with TomTom I get the problem only in CoPilot? CoPilot keeps thinking it has no fix, that is the problem.

I don't know, it may just be fluke, it maybe that you're going through tree's mainly when testing CoPilot. All I know is the NMEA stream is coming from GPS to PPC all the time (unless you lose connection with the GPS) and no matter what application you are running it will receive that same data. Perhaps you might want to try and run GPSGate and run both apps together for further diagnostics ?

tedkay wrote:
Here?s an example from today. I had a fix (7 satellites) and planned a route of a few miles. I drove those few miles and everything was OK. I then planned a route to another destination, found the place, selected Start Driving and the screen displayed a message in big red letters ?Couldn?t open Com port? .

Couldn't open COM port is because you have lost communication with the GPS from PPC to GPS. I'm not sure which GPS you are running, but the 2210's certainly exhibit this feature when you are low on memory or the processor is being heavily taxed. This may be the case on your PPC, I'd need to have it in front of me to run diagnostics before I could tell if that was the case.

tedkay wrote:
You speak of the memory leak that CoPilot are working on as if it was a minor factor. In fact it prevents the program from running properly or hangs the PDA, and this can hardly be dismissed as a minor inconvenience. It makes the software unusable which is not something to be brushed aside.

It all depends on how you keep your Pocket PC. I have driven over 1000 hours on CoPilot Live and have only experienced two lockups. That to me is minor! It maybe that there are more inherent problems with the PPC you are running, e.g. there was a major issue with XDAII's which has now been fixed, likewise there may be more of an issue with your PPC.

tedkay wrote:
It means that CoPilot have sold me a program with a major known fault.

You can similarly say that of TomTom because a good 40% of all addresses I type in I cannot find, it can't even find my own house or street. That's more worrying I would say.

tedkay wrote:
I can?t find an option to put a compass on screen. This is quite essential in a program that gives instructions directionally as in ? Go North on Sulhamstead Hill and?.

Just because ONE application has support for a compass, don't expect ALL applications to have this as a MUST. The compass is only accurate when travelling in a direction and going from one direction turn to another, so I don't see a compass a big thing. I'd much rather have a manual compass in-car that wasn't reliant on GPS Technology or a proper electronic compass but that would then require sensors placed inside the GPS like a GPSMap76S which won't happen.

Some people are more willing to change than others, and (not wanting to have a go at you-honest) it does sound you are more stuck in your ways with TomTom to give CoPilot or perhaps other software more of a chance. I do agree the learning curve is quite steep, very steep compared with TomTom, but when you get to the top of that peak, it's worth it's weight in gold. Like TomTom you probably have set into doing things a particular way, once you get used to how CoPilot does things and understand that things are done quite differently (e.g. there's no map, 3d, safety screen in CoPilot but there's where am i, 3D, safety screen) then I think you'll settle into the application quite nicely.

You do have to realise though that not every application is going to have the same feature sets, or call features by the same name. CoPilot doesn't have a compass, that for some may be disasterous, I don't see it that way, but just like this, CoPilot has an extensive Live feature that no other application has. Each has it's own feature sets, and it takes time to get used to all of these. I do like CoPilot (personally) and it's now the main application I use in-car. I have noticed a lot of people switch and received emails from them saying that once they've got into CoPilot they like it much better over TomTom because they can search for addresses and find them, get slightly better routes calculated, create map channels and much more. CoPilot like everything in life won't be for everyone, and it maybe that you need to look at a cut off point and decide whether CoPilot is for you or not. I know a lot of people have now chosen CoPilot over TomTom because they now feel more at ease with it, but ultimately only you can decide what you like and don't like, and it maybe that ultimately you do prefer TomTom over CoPilot, and that's not a crime, far from it.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I had a moan about the fact that CoPilot doesn't give the option to have a compass on-screen. You said that just becauseTomTom does I can't expect another program to have it too. I can appreciate that (and wouldn't it be boring if they were all identical) but my point was that CoPliot gives instructions directionally as in 'Go North etc' and those instructions are useless if there is no Compass to go with them. It really goes without saying that if you are not going to include a compass option then you can't give directions that depend on one knowing exactly what compass bearing you are travelling.

My Ipaq 5550 (which has the most memory available of any PDA as far as I am aware) has just come back from HP having had the infamous interface board replaced and the latest ROM upgrade installed. It is working fine. I am very careful to ensure that no other programs are running alongside CoPilot. I always start off with a soft reset.

I find it unacceptable that CoPilot make no effort at all to make the prduct intuitive and user-friendly. Not all of us have the time to learn new sotware by trial and error and I feel that comprehensive manuals either hard or on disc are essential. Their product is incomplete without it.

By the way, as I said, CoPilot hadn't actually lost the GPS fix, it just thought it had. I stayed in the same spot and when I re-entered the trip suddenly it registered the GPS fine again. It would appear that there is some glitch in the routing process. I am trying to discover what the subtle difference is between 'Get Directions' (which I would have thought meant just that, and that after doing it I would expect to see the directions on screen), and 'Start Driving'...??!! There seems to be two separate processes involved here (needlessly complex?) and both must be invoked to get the thing to work.

I finally received a call from ALK on Friday. I wasn't here to take it - strange as it may seem to the people at ALK I have a life and can't spend all day sitting her in case they phone. They left a message saying they will phone back on Monday but gave no time, even AM or PM, despite my specific request on the message I left with them that they give me a time. So again they expect me to sit here all day until they ring. That is unreasonable and puts their so-called customer support firmly at the bottom of the pile.

Isn't it just remarkable that here is a company in direct competition with several others, debatably the leader of which has a terrible reputation for customer support, and yet rather than think to themselves 'OK - well there is one area where we can outdo the others and steal a march on them' they seem to have gone the other way and decided to provide even worse customer support! They really do not deserve to do well with that attitude.

Ted
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Sorry - I forgot to ask, why are there no waterways shown on the CoPliot maps? Waterways are a huge part of our leisure world and finding places 'On the Water' is something I and I am sure many others do a lot.
Ted
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
My Ipaq 5550 (which has the most memory available of any PDA as far as I am aware) has just come back from HP having had the infamous interface board replaced and the latest ROM upgrade installed. It is working fine. I am very careful to ensure that no other programs are running alongside CoPilot. I always start off with a soft reset.

Check that you have atleast 15mb ProgMem free. If you have more than this it maybe down to a PPC issue or ROMPAQ issue, like I posted earlier. Will prob require ALK to have a similar spec PPC with ROMPAQ to test to see if they get the same problem.

tedkay wrote:
By the way, as I said, CoPilot hadn't actually lost the GPS fix, it just thought it had. I stayed in the same spot and when I re-entered the trip suddenly it registered the GPS fine again. It would appear that there is some glitch in the routing process.

I haven't witnessed this in all the testing I have done, but that's not to suggest there may not be a bug there. I'll bring this to ALK's attention.

tedkay wrote:
I finally received a call from ALK on Friday. I wasn't here to take it ....... That is unreasonable and puts their so-called customer support firmly at the bottom of the pile........they seem to have gone the other way and decided to provide even worse customer support!

Seeing that most never get a reply from TomTom I'd hardly consider that worse, they have at least tried to contact you. They do seem to be having some issues, PM me a mobile number and I'll have someone from ALK give you a call. I can't promise a time, but hopefully you will have a mobile phone with you.

tedkay wrote:
Sorry - I forgot to ask, why are there no waterways shown on the CoPliot maps? Waterways are a huge part of our leisure world and finding places 'On the Water' is something I and I am sure many others do a lot.

Which ones are you looking for ? I've had a look and water inlets, lakes, reservoirs are showing for areas I know of. Small streams aren't showing but then I would expect this. This will be more of a NAVTEQ issue than an ALK issue.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: