Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GlobalSat SD501 SDIO GPS Receiver review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GlobalSat SD501 SDIO GPS Receiver review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

own an ipaq5450 (fully patched up to HP site)
just bought Global Sat SD501 SDIO GPS Receiver
installed no issues
device blinks (which according to the instructions means that it has a sat fix)
None of the com ports bring up any sat data.
Have reinstalled several times and tried 1/4 bit and com killer?
Any help greatly appreciated.
john98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Bought a Safe Com GPS Ultra; not as elaborate and CF instead of SD; but worked less than ten seconds after taking out of box.
Bought after doscovering, although everything should work the 5450 does not support SDIO NOW!, everythign else checked out.
This globalsat device soon to appear on ebay.... Exclamation
g8awo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for being an ejiot but can i run the receiver in the sd slot and have the maps on a compact flash card
Snowmonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Globalsat SDIO GPS SD-501 Reply with quote

I read through your review, and it states that this device is useable with Memory Map...
Now I have been trying my hardest to get the damn thing to connect, but everytime I select GPS in the pocket PC menu on Memory Map, it states that it can not find comm port 4. I know this is the correct port, as it is flashing away in it when I do it...

Any suggestions?

Snowmonster Crying or Very sad
studsr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP - Also cant get Memory Map to recognise my Globstat 501 on com port 6....."cant open com port" error, i have an Ipaq 4700

Any ideas?
Bergmarmot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: first impression ... Reply with quote

I also purchased such a device for only CHF 120,- ( ± 80 Euro). I also read the review and that made this device a potential candidate. Before picking up my device from the store, I installed the downloaded drivers and tools. Once I got the device in my hands ( it felt really fragile ... ) I inserted the card in my pda Toshiba E800 and the led lighted up immediately. I Opened the the GPSInfo tool and could directly select the GPS Reciever from the dropdown list and started the GPS. Everything worked fine! The only thing, which is quite crusial for GPS, it had problems finding satelites Confused I was sitting in my car so I stepped out and now the device picked up some signal, but not really strong enough. It was heavily cloudy, so that is not in advantage for satelite signals but I would expect better than this after reading the review. The reviewer even had good signals inside the house !! Anyway, today I tried again. Took the PDA plus GPS reciever into my car, almost no signal. I read some issues with heat reflecting windscreens, which I also have Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad This is bad for GPS. I connected the external receiver and put it in front of the back window. Now it found satelites Laughing Laughing

My setup:
PDA - Toshiba E800 Wifi (2003 SE)
External Harddisk connected via USB host (SONY NW-HD3 > MP3 player with 20 G hdd Laughing )
GPS reciever - Navilock NS-207S ( same as the SD501)
The cool thing is that I can put all my maps on the HDD :P

The GPS seemed to work quite fine (have no experience so I can not really say whether this good or bad). The only pity is that I always have the connect the external reciever which is connected via a tiny fragile connector. Wondering how long it take till that part will stand.
DanTuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: IPAQ 2410 with SD-501 Reply with quote

Hello,

Have been reading this thread about the SD-501 GPS receiver. Have just bought the GPS and have an IPAQ 2410. Installed the GPS information software and also Pocket Streets. The GPS is found under COM4 as MANF-0501-CARDI.

Indoors, GPS Info is unable to find any satellites. Outside it locates 4/5 satellites, but these are not displayed as solid blue bars. Also there is no fix found outside, so the red LED doesn't flash on and off. We have a wireless router - would this present interference problems?

Has anyone else tried this device with the IPAQ 2410?

If anyone can help it would be appreciated. Dan.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: IPAQ 2410 with SD-501 Reply with quote

DanTuck wrote:
Hello,

Have been reading this thread about the SD-501 GPS receiver. Have just bought the GPS and have an IPAQ 2410. Installed the GPS information software and also Pocket Streets. The GPS is found under COM4 as MANF-0501-CARDI.

Indoors, GPS Info is unable to find any satellites. Outside it locates 4/5 satellites, but these are not displayed as solid blue bars. Also there is no fix found outside, so the red LED doesn't flash on and off. We have a wireless router - would this present interference problems?

Has anyone else tried this device with the IPAQ 2410?

If anyone can help it would be appreciated. Dan.

Dan,

If this is the first time you have used the GPS then you may need to give it clear view of the skt for up to 20 minutes before it can get a solid fix. After this it will be much quicker.

This is because it needs to learn where all the satellite positions are before it can determine exactly where it is.
DanTuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Great advice. Reply with quote

Thanks for that suggestion - left it outside, in the snow, for half an hour and it found a fix. What is the best software that you would reccomend for a PDA and this GPS? The TomTom software appears quite popular.

Also, is it neccessary to run the GPS Info software at the same time as Pocket Streets or similar is running? Any suggestions on the best way to go?

Dan.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

The software you choose depends very much on your personal requirements. We have lost of reviews on the site to help you choose. Try http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/sub-menu.php?idCat=10 and then look for the type of software you want.

You cannot run GPSinfo at the same time as the other software as it takes the serial port used for the software to communicate with the GPS.
NICU
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: General Reply with quote

Hi
ONce you but and install this device, can I confirm that the 2210 can be used as a navigation device of some description? DO you use the same card to access the internet?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: