Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15th August according to Expansys (US).
See:
http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=114391
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through the info. on the US site it says the TT Go has a "transflective" display. I looked up what this meant and ...

"Transflective is a type of LCD flat-panel display. Transflective LCDs combine the best features of transmissive and reflective LCDs. Specifically, transflective displays are equally readable in both bright sunlight and low-light situations.

Normal frontlit reflective displays are easily readable in sunlight, but difficult to read in low-light situations. Normal transmissive displays are easily readable in low-light and typical indoor environments, but unusuable in bright light, such as direct sunlight."

This would back up what I said in an earlier post about it being fine in bright light.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TT Screen cover Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:
Lampman wrote:
I would think if enough users of the TT Go contact the company about screen 'shields'then they might just bring out a fitting to shield the screen in bright sunlight.
I can't understand how this would be overloooked in the testing stage.
Unless we the user are the Guinea Pigs! Laughing

I've sent TomTom an email yesterday, with an attached drawing of a sheild that could be incorporated into the cover, Ie: Two inches wide at the top with a taper down to 1/2inch at the bottom. I am waiting for the reply, and will post back when i get it.

Ok, Update time,

Received email from TomTom,

[Quote=

Thank you for your email.

I have passed your drawing and comments onto our Product development team, who are always interested in ideas from customers.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
quote]

now it's just a case of wait and see if they take up the idea i sent them.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
DavidGev wrote:
hi, i was wondering since i live in the USA would this product work here and would i even be able to buy this product?

Yes and Yes.

TomTom will be rolling the GO out in the US later this year. I will find out what the scheduled release dates are (if they will tell me).

I have just had word back from TomTom.

TomTom GO is currently being beta tested in America, and the commercial release of the product is likely to be sometime in September. No firm date was given to me.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

I have just had word back from TomTom.

TomTom GO is currently being beta tested in America, and the commercial release of the product is likely to be sometime in September. No firm date was given to me.

will the software be any different like support for WAAS there ? Migth be useful to take it w/ me when travelling USA with the right maps.
scotth_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone looking for screen protectors, the TTG has the same screen dimensions as the Hewlett Packard iPaq 1910 and 2210, therefore anything designed for those units will fir perfectly.

I can thoroughly recommend the Writeshield screen protectors, manufactured by http://www.ppctechs.com. They are very expensive, but they are worth every cent. Cleanable and re-usable.

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ws.asp

I installed one of my spare writeshields on the device and it's now much improved - much less glare from the rear window in my car and no more horrible fingerprints everywhere.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've used my TTG for a while now and I have some comments...

1. The maps are OLD. Somewhere between Garmin CS4 and CS5 (2001 or so). Really tedious when most of the roads around me are wrong, or it routes you up a road that went years ago. The Garmin (CS6) maps are much much better.

2. Routing. It seems to choose odd routes. For example it had decided to send me one way, eta 1318. I turned off route, it quickly recalculated and the eta dropped to 1311. Not clever.

3. ETA. Way out. Like about 20% for me. A 4 hour journey for me calculates at 5:09 (the wrong way, or 5:26 the "correct" way, forced by inserting a via). So every 4-5 minutes of driving, the eta drops by one minute. Garmin timing much much closer.

4: POI. Small one this. My car likes Shell petrol, and with the Garmin I could search on petrol station names, which included "shell" or "BP" or whatever. Lost this function on the TTG.

Everthing else very good indeed!
gduvl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<"The maps are OLD. Somewhere between Garmin CS4 and CS5 (2001 or so). Really tedious when most of the roads around me are wrong, or it routes you up a road that went years ago. The Garmin (CS6) maps are much much better. ">

To me that "OLD" bit doesn't add up as I've seen road examples depicted that that have only existed for approx the last 1 - 1.5 years. It would be interesting to know just how up to date the maps are and also how often/when we may see updated versions available.

Agree about the odd routes and ETA'S though.

Still want to see a review in comparison with the Garmin 2620 - any idea when one is due on Pocket GPS World?
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: When it works it's great, but it has a very loose grip Reply with quote

pottsy wrote:
Well, I've used my TTG for a while now and I have some comments...

1. The maps are OLD. Somewhere between Garmin CS4 and CS5 (2001 or so). Really tedious when most of the roads around me are wrong, or it routes you up a road that went years ago. The Garmin (CS6) maps are much much better.

2. Routing. It seems to choose odd routes. For example it had decided to send me one way, eta 1318. I turned off route, it quickly recalculated and the eta dropped to 1311. Not clever.

3. ETA. Way out. Like about 20% for me. A 4 hour journey for me calculates at 5:09 (the wrong way, or 5:26 the "correct" way, forced by inserting a via). So every 4-5 minutes of driving, the eta drops by one minute. Garmin timing much much closer.

4: POI. Small one this. My car likes Shell petrol, and with the Garmin I could search on petrol station names, which included "shell" or "BP" or whatever. Lost this function on the TTG.

Everthing else very good indeed!

I haven't used the box of tricks as long as POTTSY but I have had to buy the same re-rad as he has, yet I suffer from sat signal drop out too many times to be impressed.

It updates present position too late quite a few times, causing it to fail to tell me turn left/right at critical times.

I have found the maps very detailed and giving incredible detail - like tiny traffic islands....... that is impressive. Not having played with any car borne GPS, I cannot compare TTG with anything else.

I have not tried it on a virgin route yet, but using the routes in areas I know well, it copes very well, but I just hate its weak hold on sats and its drop out rate. What does a chap have to do to make the TTG grab and hold its sats?

It nearly does what it says on the tin. The difficulty seeing the screen in sunshine/reflection is a big fault.

Out of 10......... a bit harsh I know, but 7 so far.

Cheers

TG
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting if those who have signal drop out would list the make/model of their cars to see if there is a common factor (not counting those which already are poor due to windsreen heating etc). The cars I've tried have always had a many satellite link and no drop out yet. In fact I can put the TT anywhere around or at the bottom of the dashboard and it picks up the signal very well. As long as the vertical from the TT goes through the windsreen it's fine.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG, morning!

To get a good signal (and hence avoid dropouts), put the magnetic antenna on the roof of the car. Tape the rod on the top of the rear of the TTG. Check it's working by looking at the sat signal with the re-rad unplugged from the battery, then plug it in and most blue bars should jump to max strength. I now have no dropouts.

I agree the 3d view is taking some processing time, and some of the instructions and map positions are a bit late (like about 1 exit on a roundabout) but with practice I can overcome this. Satnav systems are not as good as a human passenger who knows where they're going - you should have tried some of the earlier systems! One used to tell me to turn left at every roundabout (I understood the logic, but it was useless).

Luckily I don't have any reflection problems - the reason I moved from the Garmin IQue 3600 to the TTG is because it fits in the satnav cubby in my car (as you've seen).

Now enjoying a rare standby day!

Andrew
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gduvl wrote:
<"The maps are OLD. Somewhere between Garmin CS4 and CS5 (2001 or so). Really tedious when most of the roads around me are wrong, or it routes you up a road that went years ago. The Garmin (CS6) maps are much much better. ">

To me that "OLD" bit doesn't add up as I've seen road examples depicted that that have only existed for approx the last 1 - 1.5 years. It would be interesting to know just how up to date the maps are and also how often/when we may see updated versions available.

Agree about the odd routes and ETA'S though.

the maps here in the netherlands are pretty good actually. many roads thatwere rolled out beginning this year were on the map. there are errors though but I guess that's the way it is. I report them to teleatlas and all other teleatlas driven navigator systems will have these problems.

regarding the ETA. I have so far seen no real differences in the actual time of arrival vs ETA. it may be one or two minutes. it may have something to do with the quality of the cards being used though.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:
It would be interesting if those who have signal drop out would list the make/model of their cars to see if there is a common factor (not counting those which already are poor due to windsreen heating etc). The cars I've tried have always had a many satellite link and no drop out yet. In fact I can put the TT anywhere around or at the bottom of the dashboard and it picks up the signal very well. As long as the vertical from the TT goes through the windsreen it's fine.

what also is important is the fact if it's placed upside down, the antenna is facing to the dashboard.

my car, a mazda 3 and TTG go along well placed upside down and when off the sucktion feet, on the rh pax seat also.

I am using version 4.21 btw and am awaiting the new announced version.
12 aug..
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps:

Here's what you get in the UK:

Study the TTG map:

And compare to the old Garmin CS5 maps (2002):

And then to the nice new Garmin CS6 (2003):

I know I've only just bought it, but any chance of some new maps please, Tomtom?
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go -- Go Buy a PDA.... Reply with quote

Help me please -- I don't get it, why would you spend all that money on a TT Go when you can spend a fraction of that amount and get a PDA -- with more Sat Nav functionality, a Calender, Explorer, E-Mail, Contacts and Strip Poker II ??!!??

Strikes me the only reason you would buy one of these is cos your scared of something "Technical", bet you don't program your VCR and haven't got one of those "newfangled" DvD thingies .... Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 23 of 35

Jump to: