Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Burger King POI ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Burger King POI ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Burger King POI ?? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

well ?? does one exist ? I have the Pizza Hut, KFC and McDonalds ones, but heres the thing, I eat Burger Kings. It would be spot on if there was a POI overlay for BK. Anyone got one ?? Sad

Thanks for your thoughts :D
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Burger King POI Reply with quote

Hi Kirium,

I looked at creating a Burger King POI file a long time ago, but at the time I looked, their website was most unhelpful and did not list their restaurant locations. Sad

However, I have checked their website again tonight and it looks like they've updated it and gone all 'Flash'! They now have a restaurant locator on the site so if you like, I can have a go at creating the file tomorrow. (Incidentally, if anyone has recently decided that they will create the file and they read this post, it would be great if they could send me a quick PM to let me know then I needn't start on it and get beaten to it! Wink )

I will try and get it done as quickly as possible and then submit it to this site.

Bo Peep. Angel
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirium.

I'm a little concerned about your diet. :D
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Laughing Out Loud bigfatjohn!

Yes, and when I said they now have a restaurant locator on their website, I used the term 'restaurant' in the loosest way possible!! Wink Laughing

Bo Peep. Angel
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Burger King POI File Reply with quote

Kirium,

I have just had another look at the Burger King website and there are probably a couple of hundred restaurants or more listed on the site, so I just thought I'd give you advance warning that it will probably take me quite some time to get through them all as I will have to do them in stages! Wink

Bo Peep. Angel
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Burger King POIs Reply with quote

Make that over 650!!! 8O Surprised

Bo Peep. Angel
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Peep -- your an angel as well as a sheep lover Thumbs Up that would be absolutely great, thanks for being so helpful, i'll have to get you a Tex Mex by way of thanks Mr. Green

You will have to let me know how you do it, as i've no idea :|
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kirium,

Mmm, that would be lovely - thank you! :P Can I have extra fries with that too? Wink

There are several different ways of creating POIs depending on what data you use. I tend to use WGS84 Latitude and Longitude but you can also use GB Ordnance Survey National Grid (OSGB36) format.

What you need to do first is download one of the POI creator programs that you can find on this website. Again, it's down to personal preference which one you use but I use WinOV2 as I find it very user-friendly. There is quite a comprehensive help file contained within that program which will tell you how the program works and also how to go about creating your POI file.

Once you have decided what company/place you want to create a POI file for (e.g. Burger King) and got a list of all the different locations within that company, you need to find out the Latitude and Longitude or Ordnance Survey grid reference of each particular location. One of the quickest ways to do this is to first find the postcode and then enter this into Streetmap. www.streetmap.co.uk Once Streetmap is showing the map on the screen, there is an option near the bottom of the screen to convert the co-ordinates.

If you click on this, you will be taken to a page with all the information you need on it. It will have both the Longitude/Latitude and also the OS grid reference of that particular location.

Next you need to input this information into an ASCII text file (.asc). Depending on what type of data you are using, there will be different ways of inputting the information into the ASCII file, but when using Longitude/Latitude, the standard format is:

; Longitude, Latitude, "Name"
-2.098369, 57.148931, "Aberdeen (Upperkirkgate)"
-2.105066, 57.144560, "Aberdeen (Union Street)"

You can see that the values are separated by commas and the name of the location always goes between " and ". When you have all of this information in the ASCII file, you need to save it and then open it with one of the POI creator programs (e.g. WinOV2.)

This is by far the simplest and quickest part of the process, as if you open the file in WinOV2 and make sure the options are set to 'Make OV2' and 'Long/Lat' if you are using Longitude/Latitude (set it to OSGB36 if this is what you have used in the ASCII file), the process will run and your .ov2 file will be created immediately!

Then you will find that a .bmp bitmap logo has been created in the same folder as your .ov2 file. This is the standard TomTom POI bitmap and is just a black asterisk on an orange background. If you want, you can change this so it resembles the logo of the company you are creating a POI for so you can tell just by looking at the screen what POIs are in your area.

To do this, I use MS Paint as it an easy program to use and you only really need basic tools for this job. What I usually do is try and find a logo on the company's website which is suitable to be resized to 22 x 22 pixels (the required size for the POI bitmap.) Something to remember when you save the file is to save it as a 24-colour bitmap or it won't show up on the screen.

I hope this is helpful. Once you have done a few the process becomes almost second nature, I promise! Wink

Anyway, better go and get back on with the Burger King ones or by the time I finish them, they'll probably have closed half their restaurants! Laughing

Regards,

Bo Peep. Angel
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: And Smart Too ! Reply with quote

Nice one Smile a relative mine of information Thumbs Up I have taken note of your extensive post 8O and have already downloaded the necessary software and will "attempt" to do one possibly Monday evening -- wish me luck ... if I dont surface by Tuesday morning send in the rescue squad ... Mr. Green
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Why thank you! Reply with quote

Hi Kirium,

*Laughing Out Loud* Laughing

I'm sure you will be fine and will find that once you have created one or two POI files the process becomes second nature! Wink

If you do run into any problems and need some help, feel free to ask me and I will do what I can.

I am still working on the Burger King POI, but unfortunately my PC was hit by the nasty Netsky virus on Thursday so I had to spend a whole day cleaning up the PC and sorting that out. Grrrr However I am hoping to get back onto them tomorrow. I have done the whole of Scotland - just England and Wales to do now! Wink

It's strange... I find that whenever I look at the BK website to find the POI information, I suddenly get very hungry... Laughing

Good luck with the POI's!! Thumbs Up

Bo Peep. Angel
Darth_Vader
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bo,

just picked up this thread from Robert as I was after a BK bitmap file for TTN.

There is a BK ov2 file at http://poiplace.oabsoftware.nl. It doesn't look very big but may provide a starting point.

I would send it to you but I haven't yet figured out how to do that without an email address 8O ,

Cheers,

DV
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DV,

Thanks for the link. No, I don't know a way of sending files from person to person without an email address either - I don't think there is one. Smile

Unfortunately, the Burger King POI file is taking me longer than anticipated to create (apologies to Kirium if you are still following this thread! Embarassed ) but I hope to be able to continue with them soon. I am nearly half way through them.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the fastest way of producing POIs where there are Postcodes available is to use Niels Thomsen's excellent program and create the file on the PPC.
in kanPostcode type in the post code, tap "Show on map", when it shows on TomTom, tap and hold the spot and then tap on "Add as point of interest" - type "Burger King (or whatever) in the Type box, and some identifier (Road name?) in the Name box - Sorted.
Then you can manipulate, if needed in POIEdit or similar.
HTH
Roger
(Teaching Granny to suck eggs probably!)
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, less of the Granny!! Wink Wink Mr. Green

Thanks Roger, it certainly sounds like a good idea, and if I had a Pocket PC I would certainly try it out. Smile However, unfortunately I don't have anything like that and only have my desktop PC to create POI's on. Crying or Very sad

It was great to talk to Richard (Oldie) at the pub meet today as he gave me another good tip for creating POI's, and this is to use the program he has created - Codesearch - which can be found on his website here.

It certainly sounds a much easier and quicker way of doing it than trawling through Streetmap (which at times can be very slow to load) to find the co-ordinates of UK postcodes! Thumbs Up

Regards,

Bo Peep.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: FAO: Kirium Reply with quote

Kirium,

Sorry I have not been in touch before about the Burger King POI but things have been rather hectic recently.

Unfortunately, a close family member is seriously ill at the moment and I haven't had the time to make any POI's for quite some time now. I was hoping to finish the Burger King one as soon as possible, but do not know now how long this is likely to take.

I know you were waiting on it so I thought it only fair to update you on the situation. I would also like to say to anyone else out there who might want to take on the job, I can send you the work I have already done on it to get you started if there is anyone out there who wants to take over.

I will keep working on it as and when I can. Thumbs Up

Regards,

Bo Peep.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: