Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPAQ hx2110 + TT5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPAQ hx2110 + TT5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaVal64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: iPAQ hx2110 + TT5 Reply with quote

Hi, I just got my iPAQ hx2110 + TomTom Nav5 yesterday.
I activated TT5 ok, then tried a demo route from my house to our old house, this worked ok.
Being new to it I could not find a way of exiting the program so I ejected the SD card.
When I tried TT5 again after putting in the SD card all I get is the 'Legal notice', when I tap on the 'I agree' I get the message 'No maps found!' it's as thought the SD is blank.
Any ideas?
Dave
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does happen from timt to time. What to do is, keep the SD card in and start tomtom. If the same thing comes up try it again. If this still fails, try doing a soft reset (there should be a small hole where you can put your stylus in. I think it may be underneath).

Start tomtom again and all should be fine.

Let me know Laughing
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DaVal64
Ok, I take it that as you were able to run the demo route to your old house then the map must have been installed ok. Taking the SD card out while running a programme isn’t very advisable but I doubt that you have damaged the map. Before trying anything else put the card back in, give a soft reset to your PDA and run TT5 again. If it still doesn’t work we can go onto Plan B.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DaVal64
While I was frigging about typing my reply I now see that lupos0_1 got his reply in first. Sorry about that. I’m not a copy-cat.
DaVal64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I tried that Crying or Very sad can I hear what plan B is?
Dave
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DaVal64
Oh! I take it that the soft reset didn’t work. Well, Plan B is er! Plan B. Reinstall the map onto your SD card. It should overwrite the first installation but if not then delete the first map install. It should work just fine. I'll look at the forum tomorrow to see if you are up and running.
DaVal64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor1234, as I had not got much info on the iPAQ I did a hard reset as well, no joy there.
Got up in the middle of the night with an idea Idea , why don't I uninstall the TTN and start again. Making doubly sure I had not got the SD card in the iPAQ I uninstalled all the files to do with TomTom.
Slipped in the SD card switched on the Bluetooth reciever, nothing happened. I then had a look at what was on the SD card and it was empty 8O

You said reinstall the maps - from where? The CD that came in the box only had the manual and a few links to the TT website on it.
I suppose I should have backed up the SD before I started but you know how it is with a new toy!
Looking at the SD card there is what looks like a protect tab but no indication as to which way is lock/unlock. I would have thought TomTom Co. would have put a backup on the CD in case of any problem.
I'm going to take it back to PCWorld Business store this morning and try for an exchange even though I bought it mail order through BCWB as my work have an account with them.
Thank you and all the others for your help, I'll let you know how I got on.
Dave
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DaVal64
Oh! After doing a Hard Reset you have got rid of everything on the PDA except the operating system. A Soft Reset is one thing and a Hard Reset should never be done until you have backed up everything on your PDA. You have just learned a lesson for the future. Always do a Backup before you do a Hard Reset. However, the information on the SD card should still be there and I am puzzled that you say it is empty. Let us know how you get on at PC World.
DaVal64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, not much joy at PCWorld Business, they said as I had bought it mail order there is nothing they can do and gave me a returns telephone number.
They did have a look at the SD and the CD, and there was nothing on the SD and no maps on the CD.
When I do get a replacement what is the best way to back up to my PC?
Is there anything other than a backup that I can do to stop it happening again? As it has made me very wary.
I said to the chap at PCWB would it help if I slid the protection tab on, (that is if I knew which way was on/off) he said that would not work as the program saved route data to it.
Dave
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DaVal64
I didn’t think you would get much joy from PC World, never mind. Now, people like myself who upgraded from TT3 to TT5 got their new programme on a set of CDs. These contained the installation and maps of all the major countries of Europe. If anything had gone wrong on mine I could easily have reinstalled again. However, lets hope that BCWB sought you out and get you up and running. As for backing up you can’t beat a program called Sprite Backup. It backs up everything thats on your PDA. So if you were ever to make a major cock-up you could do a hard reset and then run Sprite Backup to restore everything back onto your PDA. Its brilliant. It does cost a few ponds but it’s a must. You can download it from http://www.spritesoftware.com/en/personal/products/index.htm
DaVal64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Just got my replacement TT5 :D
Before I make a backup of the SD do you know which way the write protect tab should go?
When I do put it in the SD can I stop the activate screen from taking over the iPAQ and let me make a further backup using 'Sprite' from inside the iPAQ?
Will TT's activation system stop me from installing the software again in the event of either, I somehow loose everything on the SD (it happened once Embarassed ) or I buy a bigger capacity SD card?
Dave
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Kingston SD card the write protect position is marked ‘Lock’. Personally I would make a copy of the SD card (using the card reader on my PC) before I put the card into the PDA. Only then would I place the SD card into my PDA and install the program. After the installation I would then make a Back Up using the Sprite software. If you have any problems in the future you will then be able to restore the programme from your backup and will not need to reactivate the program.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: