Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gadders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Help.... Reply with quote

I've just bought a Medion MDPPC250 and i've been recommended to download Checkpoint and the Speed Camera Database software.

Looking on the supported navigation software, my NAVTEQ software isn't listed.

Has anyone used Checkpoint & the associated Speed Camera Database with the Medion MDPPC250?

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Jason
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your software is not NAVTEQ, it is Navigon. Navteq are merely the map providers.

Navigon is supported, at least by the POI Warner

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gadders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is POI Warner and where do I get it from?

Does that have speed camera stuff with it?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go. The site is in german but the app is in english

http://www.navigating.de/MedionMN_de/index.htm

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gadders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much...

So does checkpoint and the associated speed camera stuff work with nagivon? As navigon supports POI.

Thanks
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please see my post re price differences and link to ENGLISH site for warner.

link... http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7864
gadders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but does the POI Warner have speed camera database or does this need to be downloaded from somewhere else?

Thanks
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I understand it you can get a speedcamera database from the POI-Warner affiliate site http://www.poihandler.com/ although you have to pay for the speed camera database.

HOWEVER Smile you can also get a database from this fine site.

Both I suspect will be different databases. I dont know how many cameras each database has in it. However going off how good the guys on here are and the site they have put together along with the time and effort they have put in to making their camera database I could safely suggest you go for the camera database off this site.

Hope this helps Smile

POI-Warner camera link = http://www.poihandler.com/
This sites FINE camera database for FREE!!!! = http://pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php
GIV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: But... Reply with quote

There is no mention on this sites camera database about it working with POI-Warner and or Navigon.

I too am hoping to get one of these units on Thursday and my MAIN reason for wanting it is for speed cameras (and route planning abroad - which I know I will need extra software for).

Paul
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suppose if you REALLY want it just for speed cameras then you should really be looking at a piece of hardware like Roadangel which does only that kind of thing.

With the PDA your getting a good all rounder which does a lot more. Obviously it isnt going to do the job of speedcameras as something which is purely designed for that.
Of course it does rely on the software being up to date in order to know where the cameras are it doesnt use radar detection or laser detection like the Roadangel hardware ROADANGEL REVIEW http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/roadangel.php

From this site also .... The Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database is a comprehensive database of Speed Cameras located within the UK. Coupled with GPSAssist, POI-Warner or CheckPOInt you can be alerted when you are driving towards a speed camera.

Our database is updated on a regular basis, and you can keep your driving license clean by downloading our free database.

linkage to the POI-Warner for Navigon .... http://www.navigating.de/MN_en/POI/Index.htm

Hope that helps ya Smile

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
GIV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Diesel! Reply with quote

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the feedback.

I certainly do want a PDA / GPRS based solution not a radar detection system.

I am not a speed freak (I drive a diesel VW Bora for heavensake) I just fancy the idea of getting a heads up on 99.9percent of cameras.

My point was really, that following the link to the camera POI download area on this site doesnt seem to suggest that POI-Warner is supported.

Keeping in mind that I dont have the kit yet (fingers crossed that will be in my hands on Friday - when I collect it off my father who is entrusted with getting it from Aldi on Thursday morning!) and that before yesterday I had NEVER heard of the term POI......

I need confirmation that all the various POI databases (cameras, football grounds, branches of McDonnalds (so I can AVOID them!)) will work along side Navigon.

Rgds
Paul
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well m8 I cant CONFIRM as such as I dont even have a PDA done my researching at home over the last few days on this site.

From what is noted on these forums though with the Aldi bundle (if its similar to the old one which I believe it is) then you can use POI-Warner cost about £20-£25 ish for the Medion Navigon software link in my post above.

You can then as I understand it import the camera database and many other POIs in to Warner.

If you wanted to at a later stage you could buy the TomTom navigator software and use other free addons such as POIs using software which is free such as Checkpoint (similar to Warner but FREE) Checkpoint can only be used with TomTom routing software though!! and TomTom will cost you around £100 or more.

From what I read you should find the preinstalled stuff reasonably acceptable for your first PDA. Then again what do I know I'm just a PDA n00b also Mr. Green

I'm sure if any of my info is wrong someone on here will correct me but as I say I have spent many hours reading up on this while I am unfortunately off work ill. Sad

Hope this clarifies the situation. Once again Aldi offer a "no quibble" 12 month money back guarantee so I guess if they stick to that you really cant go far wrong!!

Cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Allan
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW nothing wrong with a Diesel I bought myself a New 03 plate Golf GTTDi 1.9 (130BHP) about 12 months ago. All that torque and a tuning box takes it to about (160+BHP) and around 370nm of torque at 1750RPM.

Pins you in the seat and gives a nice big Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

hehe sorry to go off topic Smile

Allan
GIV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Cheers Reply with quote

Cheers Allan,

Hope you get better soon!

I have used a Sony Clie for a couple of years and it is stunning. However it ticks me off slightly that it can not open Excel sheets and such without a gobetween piece of software.

I have been on the look out for a Windows Mobile PDA for a couple of months,, then there was the whole idea of getting Satnav ontop, then I found out about the speed camera POI angle.

All in all... I REALLY want one of these Aldi units!

I would camp out in my local branches car park on Thursday apart from the fact that I`m on a flight to Berlin out of LTN at 0630hrs going to Berlin (where I could really do with some Satnav as I ALWAYS get lost there!) So, I have to trust in my dad to sort it out...

The 12 month no quible return policy of Aldi is stunning is it?! Really good.

All in all,, roll on Friday (or Thursday in everybodies case!)

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: