Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with GPS Slim 236 and GPS Viewer. Please help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with GPS Slim 236 and GPS Viewer. Please help!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gus779
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Problems with GPS Slim 236 and GPS Viewer. Please help! Reply with quote

Hello!

I searched this forum and Google up and down trying to find a solution for my Holux GPSlim 236 but couldn’t find it anywhere. I cannot get GPS Viewer to find the GPS! Please, help me!

I have a Dell Axim x51v (with Windows Mobile 5.0) and received my Holux GPSlim 236 (serial 236-5430xxxx) two days ago.

So, here’s what I did: I installed the GPS Viewer and then I opened the Bluetooth Manager, selected the box “turn on Bluetooth” and “make this device discoverable to other devices”. Then I tap “new partnership” and the Axim finds the Holux GPS. I enter the 0000 passkey and then mark the checkbox “serial port” (I’ve tried marking and not marking this option but it doesn’t work either way). Then, I click finish, as there isn’t any other option. But according to the manual, I should select the option “connect to SSP Slave”, but I never got the chance to select this option. It never showed up to me and I couldn’t find it anywhere. All I can edit about Holux settings is the “serial port”, nothing more.

So, I go to GPS Viewer, select the baud rate 38400 and click Scan. All I get is “none” or “open failed”. I’ve tried with all baud rates but couldn’t get GPS viewer to find Holux. So, I clicked Start, Settings, System, GPS, to see what are the settings of my GPS according to Windows Mobile 5.0. At “Hardware GPS Setting” I only have the option to change the COM and the Baud Rate, but there is no baud rate of 38400 (the same as holux). I get either 33600 or 57600. Can this baud rate difference from Windows Mobile and Holux be the problem that is preventing GPS Viewer to find the Holux?

Please help me, I’ve tried everything, and the GPS seems to work fine, as the orange light starts to blink when it finds a satellite. Currently I don’t have any navigation software installed, as I’d like to get it to work before I buy one.

Thanks!
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the PDA when you go to:
Bluetooth Manager, New connect, explore a Bluetooth Device, Holux 236 the it should ask you to select "connect to SSP Slave" then you have added the device to the your PDA, then you can go ahead and pair the device, your BT manager might be different on your Dell but it should be simular.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try the Holux GPSlim 236 software on his Dell unit in the morning and report back any findings I hope that might help - Mike

Last edited by mikealder on Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having tried the software and the 236 with the Dell x50v running WM2005 I can confirm it will work, the folloing details what we did to get it up and running: (this assumes the device has not been setup in any way so I would sugest you delete any pairing etc that may exist between the PDA and the GPSlim unit first).

Go to Bluetooth Manager, Devices Tab, and select New Partnership, select Holux GPSlim236 press next
Enter pass key 0000 press next
Select Serial Port Service then press Finish.
In Bluetooth Manager select Com ports tab, select HoluxGPSlim236, select port value as Com7, tick the box for Secure connection (it is selected by default anyway), then press OK

Go to Start/ Settings/ System and select the GPS icon.
Set Program port to Com8
Set Hardware port to Com7
Baud to 33600
Access check box select Manage Automatic selected

Run up the GPS Viewer programe, set the Baud speed to 38400 and select Scan, The software should report Scan Com7....Found GPS! and Scan Com8....Found GPS!
Select Com8 from the list then press OK
Press the Start GPS Button and it should fire up and work.
Hope this gets you up and running - Mike
gus779
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike!

Thank you so much for you help! Smile Now I managed to get it to work!

Regarding StevenGourlay's reply, I guess WM5 doesn't ask for the "connect to SSP Slave" option. However, according to Mike steps, it works just fine.

Thanks!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear its up and running, the strange thing is that if you only use TomTom then you don't have to mess around with the GPS icon, (is their GPS driver / BT interface better than the others?) any other software that needs access to the GPS data needs the GPS icon set-up (Holux and OS, plus no doubt others), had some fun getting it to work but worth it in the end - Mike
victorjiao
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I still can't find GPS device in my Dell 51v PDA. Sometine I found it and worked well but 30 mins late it is disappeared. So please tell me how to solve it.

Regards!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor, can you please supply more details, such as which software you are using when you cannot find the GPS, also where are you when the drop outs occur - Mike
nickb23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got my GPslim 236, and I am having the same problems. I cannot seem to get the 236 and GPS view to work together. I have a Qtek S110 running PPC 2003SE, so I cannot use the same advice as previously given. I am able to add the 236 as a new device, but that is as far as I go. I am also not too sure about the whole com / baud rate thing. Can any one help me please????

Nick B
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, When add the new device, you need to select SSP Slave, also have you tried to tap and hold on the GPSlim icon in the Bluetooth manager, from the pop-up screen select connect - Then you should be able to set the ports and speed (which is 38400), what software are you trying to configure it with? - Mike
nickb23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mike - gps view.

I am not really good with the ppc operating system. what is the ssp slave?

In the bluetooth settings, when i hold down the HOLUX GPSlim236, I go to edit, but all I can see / change is the name of the device.

Nick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, you select the SPP mode for the GPS unit during the set-up of the device in Bluetooth Manager, the icon if set-up correctly will say HOLUX GPSlim236: SPP slave, (spread over three lines) If for some reason it doens't I sugest you tap and hold the icon and select delete, if it does say this then select Connect.
If you deleted the connection as above then re-establish it again.
When the phone first finds the GPS device it might say retrieving services, then display the SPP as the option to select BEFORE pressing next.
As a matter of interest do you have to put the passKey 0000 into the Phone at any point?
and also what software are you going to use with it? - Mike
nickb23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

The software I am using is GPS view, which comes with the 236.

Here is the breakdown of what I am doing. this is in Windows Mobile 2003 ver 4.21.1088

Start, settings, connections, bluetooth, devices, new...

Holux GPSlim236 comes up, which I highlight, and then press next. It asks for the passkey, which I then enter 0000, then next.
A pop up window comes up labeled "Bluetooth Serial Port COM5" which has the following text "this bluetooth device supports serial port profile, would you like to create a bluetooth serial port for it?" I then press YES.
The Display window then comes up, and i then press finish, without changing the name.

When you talk about the bluetooth manager, where is this in mobile 2003?

After this, what else do I need to do?

Nick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the bottom RH corner of the today scren should be a bluetooth symbol, select that, and the Bluetooth My Shortcuts screen should appear, Tap and hold the GPSlim 236 icon then select conect, make sure the GPS unit is switched on and ready (wait ten seconds before trying the connect) you should then see two green arrows appear under the GPSlim 236 icon, then you can fire up the Holux software and select scan - this will identify where the GPS port is, then you will be up and running - Mike
nickb23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that does not seem to be what is happening with my one.

I tap the bluetooth icon and bluetooth settings appear.

The first page has the options "Turn on Bluetooth, and make this device discoverable to other devices" at the bottom of the page is the options Mode, Device and com ports. I go to the devices page, and I tap and hold HOLUX GPSlim236. Pulldown for Edit and delete appear. I click on Edit, and the only thing that appears is a page where I can change the device name. That is all. No option to connect or anything. Under Com Ports, there is 2 options - New Outgoing Port, and New Incoming Port.

Any other ideas?

Nick

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: