Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IPAQ 6515 and TT5 Problems..Please help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IPAQ 6515 and TT5 Problems..Please help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunny70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: IPAQ 6515 and TT5 Problems..Please help Reply with quote

Friends
I bought a Hp Ipaq 6515. First it did not ocme with TomTom 5 navigatoe as advertised. Got no reply from TT support..so had to buy tt5. I have installed alongwith maps. To my , the device does not work. The TT5 starts properly but after displsays NO GPS Device. I have done all possible things from this forum. But still having problems.
When I start Bluetooth Explorer it does not locate the GPS received where Pocekt Serier GPS works fine and locates the all Satellites,
I have another application, on which GPS runs perfectly; but when I start TT doen not work ( even though other prgrams are shut down completely).

I would be greatful, if someone could please guide or advice me.

Thanks in advance
Sunny
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit confused by this as the 6515 in the UK comes with TT installed - although I think it is version 4. Also the 6515 has a built in sat nav receiver so should not have to communicate with it via bluetooth. Try another setting for receiver in TT5 - wired receiver maybe?
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 6515 does come with an inbuilt gps receiver and when first activated will say no gps device until it finds finds and locates some sats. However the gps device is not a true gps device it is an AGPS device which requires the download of data every 2 days to remain up to date. This enables it to get a lightning quick fix, however in my experience and many others it is unworkable in its curent form. I am experimenting with a bluetooth reciever instead of the internal one.
sunny70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had bought in the USA. It did not come with TT preloaded and I had to buy. Even TT customer support dont reply to any of your questions. Yes it is true that you have to obtain fix on almost daily basis for quick GPS connection.
I am really getting frustrated...
Thanks for your help
Regards
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:
the 6515 does come with an inbuilt gps receiver and when first activated will say no gps device until it finds finds and locates some sats. However the gps device is not a true gps device it is an AGPS device which requires the download of data every 2 days to remain up to date. This enables it to get a lightning quick fix, however in my experience and many others it is unworkable in its curent form. I am experimenting with a bluetooth reciever instead of the internal one.

That wooshing was the sound of all that going straight over my head!! All I can say is that I am glad I went for the 6340 rather than the 6515 I was looking at. The only point of going for the more expensive 6515 was because of its built in sat nav receiver.
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
tomo1340 wrote:

That wooshing was the sound of all that going straight over my head!! All I can say is that I am glad I went for the 6340 rather than the 6515 I was looking at. The only point of going for the more expensive 6515 was because of its built in sat nav receiver.

to simplify don't buy the 6515 for the gps receiver as most people who have used gps before report it to be pants.
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6515. It does not claim to come with a full version of TT5. It comes with a cut down version of TT which will only work with a city map that you can download for free.

The documentation points you to a site www.tomtom.com/gpsnavigation where you can purchase TT5 at a reduced price.

I have had few problems that I would attribute to the GPS receiver in the device. I have however, found that TT got behind (until I reduced the number of POIs showing on the map) and I have also had occurences where TT was trying to bring me back onto the M4 in South Wales when I was "happily" driving along it anyway.

As for downloading the files for the GPS fix, you will find that you can install a piece of software that comes on the CD in the box that adds an item into ActiveSync so that you download the GPS files over your network connection using the PC connection rather than GPRS. I tend to dock my device once a day to charge it anyway.

If however, you dock less frequently, simply enable GPRS updates for these files and you will find that they are tiny anyway.

I love the device as I pick up all my email on it (work and personal) and it gets me where I need to be warning me about the cameras on the way. Oh and I can make phone calls too Wink
Copilot smartphone on C500 with Fortuna clip on
TomTom Mobile 3 on C500 with Fortuna clip on
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I love the 6515 but I am hacked off that the GPS receiver just isn't up to the job. I have tried running TTN5 with no pois whatsoever, I am using a bluetooth receiver for it now and it is excellent.
converse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit disappointed to read this, I've just brought the hw6515 for what I thought was an excellent price from John Lewis at £339 in VAT (100 quid cheaper than most online reputable stores).

One of my primary reasons for upgrading from my ancient PDA was to get a modern PDA with mini keyboard (handwriting recog is useless in meetings I find), and crucially GPS built-in, plus the phone will be a bonus when I'm away but probably won't use that facility much.

I've read the update for the "fast connection" to sats and this is included in the pack, and it does suggest you need to update it every few days, however the manual also says it will work without these constant updates, but may take 5 mins to lock onto a signal... is this true in the real world.

It does come with a free "one city" map with tomtom and once downloaded this provides a voucher to enable to you download the full UK streets for 110 euros or complete Western Europe for 129 euros (I assume the full UK is in the W.Europe, so surely that is a better deal if you travel?) I assume with this paid upgrade you get full TomTom5 too?

Haven't unpacked or tried it all yet anyway, is it really that bad, should I return it before I start to use it?!
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only let down is the GPS, but some people report no problems with it. Mine improved after a hard reset but was not up to standard.

I'd say give it a whirl.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've read the update for the "fast connection" to sats and this is included in the pack, and it does suggest you need to update it every few days, however the manual also says it will work without these constant updates, but may take 5 mins to lock onto a signal... is this true in the real world

At least 5 mins without theQuickConnect activated,

Most users have giving up on the internal GPS and gone for a Bluetooth Unit, as the internal unit is dismal, for some reason it lags like hell, and constantly misses turns and junctions (Its fine when you are at a constant speed, but during Deceleration.Acceleration and Turns its truly awful), something that goes away completely as soon as you use a seperate Bluetooth GPS unit

I would say if you are buying this with built in GPS being your main reason forget it!

Its a great PDA but the internal GPS is a pile of ****, Its not TomTom or other Software causing the problem its the Internal GPS.

At the moment I am using my old Bluetooth GPS with it, and it works superb, but really if you want a one box solution this is not it!

Richard
converse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I do find the same problems (so disappointed really thought this was the all-in-one solution after reading a review in PC Pro magazing recently), which Bluetooth receiver is best, and do I have to disable the internal GPS unit?

Sorry such basic questions, total GPS novice!

(Assuming then I could also add a bluetooth card to my older PDA and use it with that if I found it responded better too)
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The HW6515 seems to work fine with any BT GPS, I am using a cheap Kirrio unit and the improvement over the internal antenna is stunning,

If you are running TT5 on the HW6515 you will have to select Reset Factory settings, from there you can select the BT Reciever,

There has been lots of discussion on the failings of the HW6515 GPS on DavesIpaq site. It seems that at a steady speed it performs fine, but just suffers massive lag when making changes of speed or direction (Lets face it thats when you need accuarcy).

Also using a BT unit means you are no longer reliant on the QGPS programme for storing the Postion data to get a fix. Many people have reported Time to Fix of over 20mins once the QGPS data is out of date!

All I would say is try it first using the internal antenna, then beg or borrow a BT unit and see the difference,

HP don't seem interested in a fix at all, and there seems a lot of appathy from users, those who know GPS know that the performace is unacceptable, but some users seem to just accept the performance as its a built in unit, and they think 2nd class performance is acceptable! Sorry at £400 it should work properly!!

Richard
converse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a refund on the 6515 and swapping it for a Dell Axim X51, far more power, and even if I add the full Tom Tom and BT receiver it'll cost less or the same, and crucially work. I'm so unimpressed by HP and the GPS Sad
converse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update to everyone who's been so helpful!

It's all gone back, as the only reason I'd brought it and scarificed having a smaller screen was the built-in GPS, and the turned out to be useless, I received a full refund.

I'm not probably going to get an Dell Axim X51, but only when TomTom make the v5 software compatible with Windows Mobile 5. THe X51 has a 640x480 high res screen and it's a least twice as fast as the hw 6515, and has WiFi and bluetooth (but no phone, but if needs my Sony can talk to it via bluetooth).

Thanks all for the advice and saving me from a costly purchasing mistake!

If I'm then looking for a Bluetooth GPS receiver to go with a new PDA, is the TomTom bluetooth kit the best or are there other brands I should review, such as Kirrio as Richard mentioned? Now I have time and the money back I can look into it and hopefully get the best one this time!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: