Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to enter full postcode in TT5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to enter full postcode in TT5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modelflyer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Unable to enter full postcode in TT5 Reply with quote

I received my new TT5 upgrade disks today have just installed it to my HP2210 PDA and loaded the UK map and the folder titled Zip onto my CF card - it seems to work fine.

However when I try to Navigate to> Postcde (as shown in your TT5 GO review) I cannot enter the full postcode only a partial code as in TT3.

Do I have to set something up to make this work? If anyone else had has this problem and has a solution I'd be very grateful to hear how to make it work.

David
modelflyer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before posting this I had searched for an answer to no avail then I noticed another query which had the answer and that is to make a folder called Tomtom on the card containing the UK map.

Now wouldn't it have been useful to have been told that in the installation instructions - unless it is there somewhere and I missed it of course.
KEVRO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 Postcodes Reply with quote

Hi.

What you need to do is go onto your SD card and add a new folder called 'tomtom'. This is just an empty folder which needs to be in place (I guess TomTom missed this from the installation script).

Once you have done this you will have full postcodes as long as you select to navigate using the new postcode icon.

Good luck
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your cf card GB Maps and Zip file just create a empty file called TomTom and then you will get 7 digit post codes,dont ask me why but thats what i and every one else has done and it works :D

trevor
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
DaveH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as if by magic!!! Cheers fellas, it'll be interesting to see what TomTom come back with from my support query. Is this just a IPAQ 2210 issue then?
ccarcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys

i too was originally dissapointed at what i thought was the omission of this feature, after all the advertising that it would be possible

I also found a thread somewhere that told me that although this feature was in the earlier beta versions of TTN5 it had been removed from the full version due to the fact that their proved to be no improvement in the speed of address finding by using 7 digit postcodes as opposed to 4 digit codes
JerryH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Full post code support for Navigator 5 Reply with quote

The way I got FULL postcodes to work was to install the postcode program to ram NOT the memory card. (thanks to Andy) If I installed it to the card I could only type in the 1st few digits as in previous release of Tom Tom.

Hope this helps some one.
tgarcez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Post code Reply with quote

Thanks to all the above - finally I have functional post code entry - I emailed tomtom support who had no idea...

"Thank you fro your e-mail.

When you are going to make a search with the full postal code you have to go this why:

1. Choose “Navigate to”.
2. Press the arrow one time.
3. Here you will find “Postcode” enter it
5. Try here to enter the full Post Code without any space.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

I think I'll reply and reference this page!

Thanks!
Markshell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: The mans a genius Reply with quote

Had the same problem and was very cheesed off with TomTom as they didnt reply, and one of the main reasons i Upgraded was to get the Post Code access... tried the TomTom folder idea and it worked... genius.

Pity TomTom arent as helpful... although i think TomTom might have aproblem on there hands with TTN 5... seems not many people are happy with it.. including me!

What happened to the old addage of if it isnt broken dont fix it? TTN 3 was fine, it wasnt perfect but it did the job and had some good features which seem to have vanished into thin air.
GillMan1965
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks Guys Reply with quote

Brill At last a six digit postcode, I used a shareware digitool with tt3 and it was excellent, Now with the newly created empty directory im up and away.

bit of a mistake with the install codes TOMTOM. other than this fundamental problem , all else seems to work ok.

Thanks again.

phil
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone post the full location of where the "Tomtom" file should be created? Is it at the top level or within the map folder, postcode folder or what? I still can't get full postcode search to work on Palm OS
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in root of SD card:

.\tomtom
.\voices
.\zip
.\schemes

Capitalisation optional.
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks linknet, but my install created a Tomtom folder at root level, which contains the following:

data.chk
data05.chk (voice of Jane)
datao5.vif
data97.chk (silent "voice")
Munich.bin
setup.dat

If I create the other folders, do I leave these files where they are or move them? If so, where to!!?? I don't know if Palm and PPC are different in terms of folder creation.

Thanks for the help.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weelogic

Where is your TomTom folder, root of PDA or root of SD card?

Do all your voices work and is it just the postcodes that you want to sort out?
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tomtom folder is on the root of the hard drive on the new Palm LifeDrive. It was installed as an install to memory card, so the HD should be seen as a virtual SD, I guess. I have an SD card being delivered as well. It's only the postcode search that I need to get working, the voices all work just fine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: