Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database as Garmin POI map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database as Garmin POI map
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiRED, just wanted to say thanks for a top job on this map. Loaded it into my Quest and it's working fine. I am going on a bike tour in North Wales next week and I think my licence will be safer for it. Cheers!
brians530
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Garmin POI's Reply with quote

Hi Everyone :D
I have a Garmin 2620 which I'm very happy with BUT when are Garmin going to get into the 2001 century with safety cameras and POI's Sad I'm sure that the system that they use can be updated or modified to enable these to work as they do with TOMTOM & NAVMAN.

Come on Garmin get to it!!

What are your views on this??

Kind Regards

Brian
Blackrabbit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: use database as garmin waypoints Reply with quote

If you are using mapsource maps, you can import the database into waypoints by first converting using this utility

http://www.neil-thornton.f2s.com
pitlifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Wired's fantastic map - updateable? Reply with quote

thank you wired, i just loaded your map onto my Quest - fantastic. can you comment on how to keep this current: presumably they're putting new cameras up as fast as they can get their grubby mits on them? guess i should have bought a tom tom, i think they do something suitable for bikes now too (quest being rain proof). anyway - thanks!
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pitlifer, glad you like the map.

I will be updating the details on my webpage every month shortly after the updated database appears on PocketGPSWorld. I believe PocketGPSWorld intend to host the Garmin map here on this site, but its been a few weeks since that was mooted and it hasn't happened yet Sad .
Anyway, watch for updates on the website for the time being - they normally happen just after the beginning of the month.

W.
katabrontes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Database as Garmin POI map Reply with quote

WiRED wrote:
I've been doing some experimentation with converting the database into a transparent map overlay which can be displayed on most, if not all, Garmin mapping GPSRs. This has a huge advantage over storing them as Waypoints in that it doesn't clog up the WP memory, and you can see all the cameras in the database as opposed to being constrained by the limit in your unit. It also has a small disadvantage in that when you zoom out, you still see all the cameras, so the map looks like an explosion in a Smartie factory unless you temporarily "turn off" the POI map set. But I think I may be able to work around that one.

So far I've just done this for my own use but I'm trying to gauge whether there is any interest from others. I'm even prepared to make this available via the PocketGPS website if there is sufficient demand, and if PocketGPS are willing to host it.

I appreciate this isn't a typical Garmin forum but I thought I'd start here.

[Darren, I tried to contact you via email about this, but that was before I discovered the forums! Please ignore my emails]

Walter
Quote:

I hope I 've done this correctly - there are no instrcutions as to how to put a new question.

I note that all the stuff I have seen on this is for Garmins with card storage. I have a 2620 with HDD storage and I am concerned at the risk of downloading and installing a database onto this as if the HDD gets corrupted it has to be returned to Garmin to be fixed. I have no CD from which I can reload the data etc.

I hasve tried to encorage Garmin to incorporate a Speed Camera Dtabase (with a sub for updates if necessary) but their responses so far seem to indicate that either they were unaware that this was available on others or that it is a revolutionary idea which they may consider at some unspecified time in the future. I have used a Navman jacket on an iPAQ in the past which was very unreliable and find the Garmin much more satisfactory that that but Garmin's support is pretty ambivalent which is a pity.
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes, your posting made it here ok Smile

You are correct - this approach does not work well for 2620 owners, or other HDD based models either (2660?). Of course, those models were designed for users who do not have, or do not wish to use a computer for managing map-sets on the GPSR. They are designed to work as-is, straight out of the box. I think Garmin's intention was that, if you are the sort of user who might want to download different combinations of maps, be they Garmin's own or home-made ones, you would buy one of the memory card units. Is it too late to change now?

Walter.
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Safety Camera POI map for Garmin GPSRs has now been updated to v3.064 of the database. This version also includes an "experimental" version of the map primarily for the Garmin iQue. There have been some issues with readability of red POIs on the iQue so there is now an option to use orange POIs instead.

It can be downloaded from:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright

W
toaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed to my Quest and working perfectly.

Thanks mate, this must have taken you ages to do, it's appreciated.

If you want any specific screenshots of a Quest, then PM me and I'll do them for you.

Thanks again
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toaster wrote:
Just installed to my Quest and working perfectly.

Thanks mate, this must have taken you ages to do, it's appreciated.

Yeah, keyed in the co-ordinates of every camera myself. Wink
No, the thanks really go to the guys at PocketGPSWorld who maintain the database. I did spend a few evenings writing a converter to make creating the Garmin map easier, but I use a lot of shareware/freeware myself and its nice to put somethiing back from time to time.

Walter
ebyegum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening WiRED,

Great UK camera overlay - made me come off the fence & buy a Quest!

Any chance of you releasing your converter (or even the steps you made to do it) or, if you'd like to keep it up your sleeve, then 'doing' the French one as well for the next update??

Many thanks,
8)

PS Would be great to see more on the Quest - I have the UK contours on mine as well (would be good to have US style Topo maps....)
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebyegum wrote:

Great UK camera overlay - made me come off the fence & buy a Quest!

Hey, I wonder if I can get some sort of commission kickback from Garmin Wink

ebyegum wrote:
Any chance of you releasing your converter (or even the steps you made to do it) or, if you'd like to keep it up your sleeve, then 'doing' the French one as well for the next update??

I'm happy to do the continental ones, but do you mean the cameras from the PocketGPSWorld database? I believe there is another database of just the french cameras, but you have to contribute to it first to get the full version. I suppose if I can't get access to that, what's in the PGPSW one will be better than nothing.

I'll release it with the next update, which normally coincides with the end of the month.

/WiRED
bluka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiRED,

Thanks for this map.

Used it with my cf Que and iPAQ 2210 and works well. The standard red works fine.

Your efforts are much appreciated.

bluka
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Safety Camera POI map for Garmin GPSRs has now been updated to v3.074 of the database.

It can be downloaded from:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright

W
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Installed on the iQue without problems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: