Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POIs vanishing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POIs vanishing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: POIs vanishing Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 2210 running TTN2.24 and CheckPOInt 2.02

Recently, it has been very reluctant to display POI icons when in 'Map' or Navigator view.

The POI are listed - if I do 'Navigate to' or 'Find'. And the icons appear along side their groups when searching, but most of them resolutely will not show up on the map. 'Display on map' shows the position of the chosen POI, but no icon in the position.

I've got POI ticked in the advanced properties menu. And the .bmp files are there and in the right folder, and they open OK in picture viewer.

To begin with they all displayed OK. But now, only about 10% of the categories will show up on the map.

Today, the Cambridge Colleges icon shows, as does Marriot, and IKEA. In the last fews days I've lost KFC, and petrol stations. And today I've lost the PocketGPS gatso symbol, even though CheckPOInt detects the POI and gives an audible warning and the range bar. But absolutely no Gatso symbol on the map. They seem to be leaking away from somewhere. Everyday, I'm losing more !

Any ideas anyone before I do a re-install ?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit a shot in the dark but you may want to try copying your data off the storage card, reformatting it and then putting the data back on. Who knows - may help. Have you made sure all your POI pictures are low level graphics (8bit) ?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that a local post office POI went walkies the other day as well.
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer my own question here, it would seem that if you try to display too many POIs on the maps, then the feature starts to misbehave. In more detail :-

I've managed to get POI icons to appear again on the maps.

First, I reset everything by going into 'Properties' and unchecking all of the POI boxes. Then clicked OK and returned to the maps.

Then I went back into 'Properties' and checked a single POI. Hey presto, those icons then appeared on the maps.

Then checked more icon boxes, one at a time. Each time the icons would then appear on the map.

However, when I got up to six boxes checked, then NO icons would appear on the maps ! At high levels of zoom or low. The only way to get any icons to return was to first uncheck all POI boxes, then click OK and start re-introducing them. For the POIs I was using the limit seemed to be four or five (groups) - Petrol stations, golf courses, tourist attractions, stadiums and PocketGPS safety cameras. Adding any more and all POIs vanish or start appearing erratically

So the secret would appear to be - for me at least - not to choose too many.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will have to try that with mine Lost Cause and see what happens. Funnily enough the post office that went missing the other day has re-appeared. I at first thought that the software was so good it actually removed post office POI's as the government were closing them down! Smile

Seriously though I don't seem to have problems with large amount of POI's showing, however, CheckPOInt 2.0.2 sometimes misses a warning even when the POI is dead in front of me.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

you will want to verify how much of program memory (not storage memory) you have available when your POIs start disappearing. I am pretty sure the number of POIs that can be shown properly is a direct function of the available memory. You may also want to examine your PocketPC for programs that you no longer need or data that can be moved to the storage card.

A more radical solution is a hard reset and clean install - I am doing this every half year to get rid of all the crap that installs itself into the \windows directory but fails to de-install properly. A slightly softer solution is a restore from a backup that you have done just after a clean install...haven't you? ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the same problem, despite having just done a hard reset and reinstall. I have checked the program memory and it is just over 8Mb free. I have also found that so long as the Pocket GPS camera database is not selected as a POI to display then I dont have a problem. I think the size of the pocket GPS camera database must have something to do with it, however if I check the memory free after selecting this database too then I still have the same >8Mb free (it must take what it needs from the storage memory).

My solution although not ideal is not to show the Pocket GPS Camera database. Checkpoint still detects them even though they dont show up on the map or Navigator view.

If anyone finds a solution to this then I would love to hear it. I am pretty sure I didnt have the problem back on TTN2.

Nb. I have tried both Checkpoint 3.? and 2.02 and the same problem exists irrespective of what is installed. I am using an Ipaq 2210 and Panasonic 256Mb SD card.

Ian.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: