Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon Wishlist
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon Wishlist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

druck wrote:

Its should really remember the north orienatation once set. But for the day/night it should know if its dark or not from the real time clock. I beleive TomTom offers this feature.

Sadly it does not Sad
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even after using the settings page off the main menu?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, TomTom does not have the facility to set day/night screen colours automatically via the system clock. You can manually switch using the icon on the settings menu but you cannot have this happen automatically.
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry missed the end of page 1 and thought we were still talking about North mode staying selected after using the settings menu, rather than TomTom's auto day/night or the lack of it.

Anyway hi to DavidW and dmac but please dont tell anyone on csa.m that I've spent my own money on something with an OS from the beast Embarassed

Cheers
---Dace
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember - if it wasn't for Acorn, there'd be no ARM processors. I'd also have no SCSI controller in this machine, which would rather limit my participation here (as there's only SCSI hard disks in the box).

If you'd bought a machine that ran Palm OS, you may not have an ARM based machine (as I understand it, Palm OS 5.x is ARM, Palm OS 4.x isn't - both Palm and other vendors are still releasing software on both OSes).

If I had some more strength, I'd try some Pocket PC development, but that's destined to remain an unfulfilled wish for now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Norcroft C compiler produces better ARM code than the Microsoft one - though I can't think there's any way to use the Norcroft compiler in the MS IDE. I guess it's also the case that the best way to write software for Pocket PC now is to use .NET, which involves shelling out a nearly obscene amount of money for Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003.

David
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering off topic a litte here I fear.

I am actually developing for Pocket PC during the day job at the moment. And yes Norcoft produces much better ARM, I've already found two bugs in the MS compiler. There is a 120 day evaluation of Embedded Visual Studio 4.2 .NET here.

Cheers
---Dave
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft offer totally free development tools for Pocket PC - and I believe they're one reason that there is a fair amount of free and cheap software for the Pocket PC, particularly programs in the "useful add-on category". However, there's some non-trivial software that's available free, like the various tools available at http://www.phm.lu.

The only hassle is that software written in Embedded Visual Basic needs a runtime installing to work on Pocket PC 2003 - the runtime is no longer in the ROM in Pocket PC 2003, having been replaced there by the .NET Compact Framework.

I'm not sure we'd have software like CheckPOInt available for free if the only development tools were those that cost nearly a thousand pounds - though I suppose the author must have paid out for a copy of the TomTom SDK. I wonder if we'll see a version of CheckPOInt that works with Navigon in due course, seeing as it clearly is possible to produce a POI warning utility for it. I suppose the feasibility of this depends on just how much code would need changing.

For anyone interested, http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/device/embedded/download.aspx has free Visual C++ and Visual Basic compilers that can be used with Pocket PC (the 3.0 versions are the best to use - 4.0 is for CE .NET only, which for Pocket PC means Pocket PC 2003 only). None of this software has a time limit, even - it's there for the downloading and the product keys are on the download pages on the Microsoft site. It's just that these tools are not the way Microsoft recommend development is done now - they recommend new software is developed using the .NET tools which are far from free.

You don't need all the Platform Builder stuff to develop software for Pocket PC or SmartPhone; there's no free version of that that doesn't have a time limit.

David
(who wonders if we need an Off Topic forum)
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to write C/C++ programs for standard PocketPC 2002 and 2003 devices you can use the free EMVC++ versions 3 and 4 (You only need the paid version if developing your own SDK's or bord support packages). If you want to do .NET for CE (and god knows why), you need desktop Embeded Visual C++ .NET, and that is serious money. Its seriously confusing trying to work out what you do and dont need when developing for CE.

I would recommend EMVC++ 4 for straight C / C++ development as it solves a number of annoying bugs with version 3, such as putting the executable in the
wrong place in dependant projects, and continually complain about having the wrong processor and SDK.

Cheers
---Dave
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basmul wrote:
Search through the contacts list easier if navigating to a contact.
I've got lot's of contacts so scrolling is no option.

Bas

You can just start typing (writing) the name of the contact and you jump towards it on the list....I've got lots of contacts as well, thought it was a pain and discovered this by accident...
basmul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx Smile
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Navigon Wishlist Reply with quote

I agree with 'ourmike' about the advance warning of the next turn when leaving motorway exits. I'd also like a little north arrow so that when the map is aligned to your direction of travel, you can tell if your travelling east on the A6969 (or whatever) when the traffic news comes on the radio telling you of trouble ahead.
Dick_Spanner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively you get buy one of those cheap radar detectors that have a compass built in. It will also warn you of any impending shop doorway's.
Prussia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ourmike wrote:
An ETA or journey time remaining feature would be helpful, updated every 5 minutes or so. The duration given for route planning is usually wildly optimistic.

--------------------------------
Mike
Apologies if you have already received a reply - I am a newbie here.
In Navigation mode look at the distance in the bottom right of your screen. If you touch this you will find you can toggle between Distance, Duration and Arrival (ETA)
Hope that helps
Cheers
Prussia
Prussia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ourmike wrote:
The duration given for route planning is usually wildly optimistic.

-------------------------------------------

I used to think that, until I checked my car speedo against my Etrex. The car speedo is over 5% fast. When I have the opportunity to maintain a speed at the legal limit (rather than the legal limit shown by my speedo) I find the ETA surprisingly accurate. (See my previous posting regarding ETA)

Cheers
Prussia
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that...The ETA has been accurate for me within a minute or so within the UK....Travelling across the channel don't believe the ETA it displays in the UK...once in France I gained about 4 hours!!! Which was displaying the actual ETA to get to holland...And no it didn't direct me via a ferry it directed me via the Eurotunnel...And it even had all the little lanes and roads in the Eurotunnel compound as detail on the map....

Hmmm...wish it knew which lane I had to take...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: